• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a startup making a dry aging fridge for the house. Think how cool you'll be if you have a date over to your place and you casually pull out a hunk of moldy, purpleish meat.

Have you had a 30 day dry aged strip or ribeye? A regular steak just doesn't come close.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t really deal with the “funk” smell/taste of dry aged but maybe I just haven’t had good dry aged.
Also with the steaks, I’m doing less and less rib eyes/strips etc and more flank/skirt/hanger

Find a butcher that does dry aging around you and get something around 30-40 days. That is the sweet spot, the steak flavor is enhanced and you don't get the gross taste of steak aged 60-120 days.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hanger steaks are the bomb.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am new in the world of steaks. I had many, but I just started to grill at home by myself. Also, my English isn't that good. And have many questions. What would you say: Is Angus beef a good start? Unfortunately, where I live I can't source Wagyu.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Angus is fine. Get a good meat thermometer, learn how to reverse sear and you're good to go.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am new in the world of steaks. I had many, but I just started to grill at home by myself. Also, my English isn't that good. And have many questions. What would you say: Is Angus beef a good start? Unfortunately, where I live I can't source Wagyu.

Depending on where you are, the words I look for are prime or choice. Angus can be both prime and choice. Prime beef is the highest grade of American beef, but not as high as most wagyu or wangus (waguy bread with Angus cows). Choice is a step down from prime, but can still be good. Select is the lowest grade, stay away.

USDA-Grading-Scale.jpg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had choice brisket 2 weekends ago. While not ideal, it was smaller and less expensive (obviously) yet still tasted fantastic. What would have costed me something like $150 was just about cut in half because of price per lb and smaller portion. Hell, I still gave away/froze half of the finished product.

It really is about looks like bear shows above. I've seen some less than ideal "prime" cuts at Costco.

rezso.kuti

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Depending on where you are, the words I look for are prime or choice. Angus can be both prime and choice. Prime beef is the highest grade of American beef, but not as high as most wagyu or wangus (waguy bread with Angus cows). Choice is a step down from prime, but can still be good. Select is the lowest grade, stay away.

View attachment 1391879
Thank you for the info. I'll go to the butcher and talk with him ? also thank you for the pictures! I saw on your first pictures that you used a mix of herbs. Is that a special mix of herbs to steaks? I thought I will try first dry aging in the fridge for one or two days. Then only salt and pepper. Or should I look for some spices too?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I'll go to the butcher and talk with him ? also thank you for the pictures! I saw on your first pictures that you used a mix of herbs. Is that a special mix of herbs to steaks? I thought I will try first dry aging in the fridge for one or two days. Then only salt and pepper. Or should I look for some spices too?

Stick with just salt and pepper on good steak. I would not recommend dry aging at home, but leaving it in the refrigerator for 7 days is fine. It won't really dry age in that time.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had choice brisket 2 weekends ago. While not ideal, it was smaller and less expensive (obviously) yet still tasted fantastic. What would have costed me something like $150 was just about cut in half because of price per lb and smaller portion. Hell, I still gave away/froze half of the finished product.

It really is about looks like bear shows above. I've seen some less than ideal "prime" cuts at Costco.

This is true. Certain cuts if choice can be prime marbled. That sucks you can't get good prime briskets for $50-$75.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads