• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put 1 slab of plate ribs in sous vide bath with 2 steaks at 129. Once I pull steak out for dinner I'm going to crank up temp to 150 and cook ribs there till tomorrow afternoon. Will finish the ribs on the smoker tomorrow.

20191109_161511.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
About to pull a bird off the rotisserie. I need to try doing a rack roast or something like that on the 'tisserie.

Lizard23

Reaction score
About to pull a bird off the rotisserie. I need to try doing a rack roast or something like that on the 'tisserie.
i did a small strip loin roast and it came out great. I wish mine had more clearance. I bet a bone on prime rib would be good.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aftermath of a fat ribeye pan seared then sautéed in and basted with butter. I know we had this fight before in the thread, but sometimes I too wonder why bother with the fires and sous vide shenanigans, because it was perfectly damn delicious. Plus the whole house then smells like steak for 24 hours and how is that a bad thing?

4AF4D52F-47A4-42A7-92E0-67659C6B4517.jpeg

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aftermath of a fat ribeye pan seared then sautéed in and basted with butter. I know we had this fight before in the thread, but sometimes I too wonder why bother with the fires and sous vide shenanigans, because it was perfectly damn delicious. Plus the whole house then smells like steak for 24 hours and how is that a bad thing?

View attachment 1276874
That's like asking why god killed everyone on earth, and then murdered his son. Or why Michelangelo composed music. Or why Tom Brady is garbage.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Nuthin wrong with doing it in a skillet. There are some good reasons to do sous-vide, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. It's got a few advantages: 1) zero gradient, or close to zero . Less overcooked, dried out meat. You can come close to this with conventional cooking, if you really know what you're doing, but you won't equal it. 2) Guaranteed precise and consistent results. 3) Unequalled if you need to cook for many people, and want to be able to serve many perfectly cooked steaks, hot, in close succession.

Doing what you did has some advantages too. 1) it's great for developing a nice dark crisp sear. This is much harder to do on sous-vide steak (but not impossible). 2) It's faster and simpler. 3) Full-house steak potpourri.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nuthin wrong with doing it in a skillet. There are some good reasons to do sous-vide, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. It's got a few advantages: 1) zero gradient, or close to zero . Less overcooked, dried out meat. You can come close to this with conventional cooking, if you really know what you're doing, but you won't equal it. 2) Guaranteed precise and consistent results. 3) Unequalled if you need to cook for many people, and want to be able to serve many perfectly cooked steaks, hot, in close succession.

Doing what you did has some advantages too. 1) it's great for developing a nice dark crisp sear. This is much harder to do on sous-vide steak (but not impossible). 2) It's faster and simpler. 3) Full-house steak potpourri.
I completely agree with all of this but also believe it’s hard to beat a perfectly grilled steak for lack of fuss and convenience. (Only problem is you can’t do super thick cuts.)

paulraphael

Reaction score
I completely agree with all of this but also believe it’s hard to beat a perfectly grilled steak for lack of fuss and convenience. (Only problem is you can’t do super thick cuts.)
Grills are off my list because you lose the drippings. I always do some version of a pan sauce. It breaks my heart to see all that flavor dropping through grates to a fiery end.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^dude you watch that show

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.