• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

paulraphael

Reaction score
I have wondered about "high-end" pork as well. SNR sells Kurobuta Pork, which is about twice the price of that d’artagnan belly. I'm tempted to try.
High-end pork can be an even bigger leap than high-end beef. This is because in the beef world, even though the marbling grades (prime, choice, etc.) have been weakened by lobbying groups, there's still a nod to the idea that marbling is a good thing. This is less of a criterion with grass-finished beef, but that's another topic.

In the pork world, there was the big rebranding campaign years ago as "the other white meat," which sold us on pork that was leaner than lean, mild flavored, and generally insipid. This was a hilarious win for the pork industry, because it turned all the features of cheap-to-raise, unfattened pork into selling points.

Heritage pork, like Berkshire, Duroc, and Mangalitsa, reverse this trend. The meat is dark, marbled, and highly flavorful. It's much harder to dry out (but please don't try).

But I said this pork CAN be a big leap, not that it necessarily is—because as soon as there was a buzz surrounding it, starting around 10 years ago, sellers and some farmers found ways to exploit it. You can certainly raise a berkshire pig as poorly and cheaply as you would raise a modern pig, and you'd get meat that's only marginally better than everything else at the supermarket. So as with everything else, buying it requires some skepticism. It's helpful to be able to read the marbling, or at least to have a market / farm that you trust.

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High-end pork can be an even bigger leap than high-end beef. This is because in the beef world, even though the marbling grades (prime, choice, etc.) have been weakened by lobbying groups, there's still a nod to the idea that marbling is a good thing. This is less of a criterion with grass-finished beef, but that's another topic.

In the pork world, there was the big rebranding campaign years ago as "the other white meat," which sold us on pork that was leaner than lean, mild flavored, and generally insipid. This was a hilarious win for the pork industry, because it turned all the features of cheap-to-raise, unfattened pork into selling points.

Heritage pork, like Berkshire, Duroc, and Mangalitsa, reverse this trend. The meat is dark, marbled, and highly flavorful. It's much harder to dry out (but please don't try).

But I said this pork CAN be a big leap, not that it necessarily is—because as soon as there was a buzz surrounding it, starting around 10 years ago, sellers and some farmers found ways to exploit it. You can certainly raise a berkshire pig as poorly and cheaply as you would raise a modern pig, and you'd get meat that's only marginally better than everything else at the supermarket. So as with everything else, buying it requires some skepticism. It's helpful to be able to read the marbling, or at least to have a market / farm that you trust.
Thanks for that information. Do you know anything about the brands we have been discussing? Are either of them "worth" it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It is... my last two porchettas were delicious but made without the rind and i definitely missed it.
Yup, rind = heaven. We have a local Eye-Tie place that does it up right and that skin is just to die for. The Costco bellies are just so easy to obtain though whereas I find it hard to source a suitable sized piece of belly with skin.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
From a couple weeks ago. The second one is reheating on a Monday. 🤗

CC71A524-E170-4933-A621-9A37E39D4363.jpeg
92278AD1-E7AE-4ABC-AB0B-5D601B4C478F.jpeg

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother in law keeps sending us frozen steaks from Crowd Cow. Got a couple of tenderloin steaks I still haven’t used, and I’ve been thinking about doing au Poivre for a while. Looks like tonight’s the night.

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother in law keeps sending us frozen steaks from Crowd Cow. Got a couple of tenderloin steaks I still haven’t used, and I’ve been thinking about doing au Poivre for a while. Looks like tonight’s the night.
What kind? Crowd Cow has some A5 wagyu that I really want to order.

paulraphael

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. Do you know anything about the brands we have been discussing? Are either of them "worth" it?
I don't know those brands unfortunately. I'm able to buy from butchers in NYC who have relationships with the farms, which makes it easy. Are these mail order brands you're talking about, or are able to go look at the meat?

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know those brands unfortunately. I'm able to buy from butchers in NYC who have relationships with the farms, which makes it easy. Are these mail order brands you're talking about, or are able to go look at the meat?
I got a ton of good local butchers. I need to get some pork belly for this weekend.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a ton of good local butchers. I need to get some pork belly for this weekend.
I haven't been to my local butcher in months since I tried an (unsuccessful) porchetta-style loin. Kind of lost my desire to cook due to the shitty kitchen in this house, and it's also a half-hour away vs. 20 minutes from my old place. I feel bad because the guy was just starting to know who I am. (Instagramming dat food and tagging them helps.)

There's also a small chain near me, but it has more of a luxury supermarket vibe while the place I like is a whole-animal, farm-to-table butcher and only does pork and beef.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.