• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

Milksteakboiledhard

Reaction score
All ingredients in house now for Saturday's foray into Americana dining. Cube steaks, ingredients for good country gravy, really nice "peaches and cream" ears of corn to grill, and some spuds to do smashed style.
No biscuits? Though, a nice dessert pairing would be a peach cobbler.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't want to go crazy on the carbs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choice sirloin makes some fucking awesome chicken fried steak. I have never done CFS before and my wife was blown away. The kids didn't give a single shit, but they are ungrateful a-holes. I made gravey but didn't use it because the steak was so juicy. Obviously this was inspired by Pio's weekend menu.

20190817_100918.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't wait to make mine tonight. As I'm doing the corn on the Traeger again Imma slice up my spuds, coat with olive oil and seasonings, then put on the grill to cook. Bring them in an "smash" them with some butter and milk. If everything turns out per plan dinner is going to be fucking awesome.

Lizard23

Reaction score
Sausage and peppers prep done... so easy and such a crowd pleaser. Peppers, onions, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook at 350 until it all falls apart. Lower oven to 250 and “poach” sausage in the vegetables until they hit 140. Let it sit in oven until time to eat for flavors to mingle.

At service i put the pan on the grill to get hot and crisp the sausages on sear burner. Finish pepper mixture with vinegar and hot pepper flakes to taste. Serve on crusty semolina.

E14B0D52-B03B-4E6B-9A1E-2ECB3A83AC79.jpeg
034FF2B0-8662-422A-9129-6B95C43CFB00.jpeg
B906D095-F522-48DD-AAD2-8FDD04F32983.jpeg

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could figure out how to BBQ without something going wrong that adds an hour or two onto the cook.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ll do it someday. You cant forget that many in this thread, ahem Piobaire, have decades more experience and some neat equipment. I’m still fine with simple grilled steak over something sous vide or even reverse sear because I have zero experience with those techniques. I sill get great results because I’ve grilled so much steak in my past. Perhaps someday I’ll get around to other techniques.

I’ve had limited experience as well with smoking/bbq but have had good results so far. Its just too much work with my family to plan everything out and cook it forever when I know the kids wont touch it.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I've learned anything from eating steak at least once a day for the past 5 years or so, it's get a decent thermometer and always have a couple of backup options for heat. If you can't grill for whatever reason, you can always broil in the oven or pan roast in cast iron on the cooktop. Meat just isn't that fussy, or maybe I'm not?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Butterflied pork belly, spread paste of herbs, garlic, and olive oil then rolled and rotisserie porchetta style. Veg and corn smoked on the Traeger and made hoagies. So fucking good.

DE5708C3-B3B1-4E17-A80A-BAB04AC5FEF4.jpeg

6E55BF7E-6B9C-469D-AAB3-CDB8F7438457.jpeg

221F31A5-F8DD-403B-9DED-1F6515E7E010.jpeg
6E55BF7E-6B9C-469D-AAB3-CDB8F7438457.jpeg

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding an hour or two for XYZ sounds like regular BBQ. Like exactly.
True. This time my charcoal snake ran out before the butt was done and I wasn't paying attention. Last time I did pulled pork it started raining unexpectedly. The ribs a few weeks ago, I tried the normal 2-zone setup instead of the snake and the fire died. Big fan of the snake method on the Weber kettle, though.

But I now understand the appeal of an electric or pellet smoker.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
KJ, or even the BGE, has the capacity to do a long smoke without tending once you get the temp dialed in. Also, rain will not impact the temps as much as a Weber, due to the thick ceramic that creates such a thermal sink. Something to think about if you really love charcoal.

Today was Lynx (plumbed NG) and the pellet pooper. Just took three minutes to put everything back where it belongs.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.