• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Lizard23

Reaction score
Deciding if i should give this a spin to scratch my charcoal itch...

4A70AF3A-ED65-4DEC-93EF-559701F8E413.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Add wood.

Lizard23

Reaction score
I’m worried about the utility. I dont see an easy way to manage heat since it appears it would be one even layer of charcoal. Of course i could use the trellis burner zone but that seems to defeat the purpose.

Also, wondering if I want to add another sear burner other than the one overhead.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From Sunday night, finishing up my blanched veggie medley.

Not pictured: The sake I drank with it and the pan gravy.

edit: The little maggot looking things are dried rosemary as I don't buy fresh herbs generally.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never just burn charcoal, always add wood. Or buy seasoned wood chunks (Central Market or HEB carry a good selection) and burn it down to coals and use that. Kamados are great with either.

Beckwith

Reaction score
I bought a Hestan grill from BBQ Guys three years ago and it is one incredible grill. Well designed top to bottom. Have the wood chip burning tube, but have yet to use it. That charcoal attachment looks cool as well. I rounded out my outdoor kitchen with a fridge, and a Roccbox, which is just amazing.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to look up “Roccbox”. Looks pretty cool.

Beckwith

Reaction score
It is as cool as it looks, and really does the job. I haven't made my own dough yet, but the preformed doughs i get work well. I need to find premade 00 flour doughs, as those would cook really nicely in there. The thing gets scorching hot with a flame that rolls over the top, and given the kids and time restrictions, the propane option is great! I haven't used the wood burning box yet.

Beckwith

Reaction score
Caveat, I heat it for 15-20 mins before cook. Because it heats to such a high temp, pizza in 60 seconds and a very quick recovery to make another. You can crank out 4-5 in about 10-12 minutes.

Pizza in 60 seconds? Fuck.

Lizard23

Reaction score
I bought a Hestan grill from BBQ Guys three years ago and it is one incredible grill. Well designed top to bottom. Have the wood chip burning tube, but have yet to use it. That charcoal attachment looks cool as well. I rounded out my outdoor kitchen with a fridge, and a Roccbox, which is just amazing.
Agree - it is amazing. I was going back and forth between hestan and lynx and couldnt be happier. I had the privilege of using a kalamazoo this past weekend and the hestan is just as good for gas grilling but i have to admit the charcoal slide out trays on the kalamazoo are next level.

Do you have sear burners or trellis burner? I did all trellis and use the top mount rotisserie sear burner to get that unbeatable IR sear, but wonder if i should swap out one trellis for another IR just for fun.

I am intrigued by the charcoal insert but am still wondering how much utility it has. I feel like i would only be able to use for high heat. Maybe wood chips and put food in another zone to smoke?

Beckwith

Reaction score
I have 42" with the 3 trellis burners and one sear burner, which is different than the Aspire. The rotisserie with flat top mount sear, which I use a salamander to get cheese to melt on nachos and to brown some veggies. It really is amazing. The details they thought of are next level when it comes to grills. being that everything is reversible, really help keep it clean and cooking nicely, although I think I have to do some adjusting.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.