• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re gradient - impossible to fully avoid if you're using a cast iron pan. After all, you're slapping the steak down on a hot ass surface for a minute on each side. Massively dependent on the type of meat too, how aged it is, how much oil is in the pan, etc.
You can flip more often to mitigate this.

There's a lot of mythology around flipping, but it's pretty straight forward. You don't want the heat to penetrate beyond the surface of the meat to both develop a nice crust and not overcook the interior.

Kenji has a couple pages in his book about it. The conclusion: flipping often is good.

(addendum, your steaks look amazing)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's a lot of mythology around flipping, but it's pretty straight forward. You don't want the heat to penetrate beyond the surface of the meat to both develop a nice crust and not overcook the interior.

Kenji has a couple pages in his book about it. The conclusion: flipping often is good.

never understood the flip only once thing. And another pet peeve on tv cooking shows, sometimes they are salting a big piece of meat and they put like a pinch of salt, WTF is that gonna do??

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
never understood the flip only once thing. And another pet peeve on tv cooking shows, sometimes they are salting a big piece of meat and they put like a pinch of salt, WTF is that gonna do??
There's so much mythology about cooking, and so much of it is just passed down from cook to cook without anyone actually considering whether it works at all much less is actually optimal.

te0o

Reaction score
Looks great, but what if you say is true about the cast iron pan and reverse sear, why reverse sear?
As others have pointed out, the raison d'être of reverse searing isn't necessarily the complete lack of gradient.

The main benefits for me come from the fact that the internal temperature of the steak is already high when you put it on the pan - quicker sear, easier/better crust, really even pink inside, larger margin for error. For a thicker piece of meat it's just a no brainer. However, I'm happily conceding that the advantages over searing and then using the oven, as you prefer to do, are indeed little.

Also, some people are lucky and don't necessarily have to use a pan when reverse searing. Flame throwers, grills, etc are all really useful tools that can achieve better results.

Clearly, you cook a great-looking steak in the normal way. I'd just say - do try to get a Meater+ which should allow you to get the reverse sear right. Afterwards, I don't think you'd resort to the usual method anymore.

Agreed and thank you. I usually keep 'em about 2/2.5 minutes on the pan, flipping every 30 seconds. Have tried reducing this to 20, basically no difference. Diminishing returns as always. Although I think your suggestion is really relevant for wholly pan-cooked steaks.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry, it's low effort, but I have to.

6gjw5n.jpg

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed and thank you. I usually keep 'em about 2/2.5 minutes on the pan, flipping every 30 seconds. Have tried reducing this to 20, basically no difference. Diminishing returns as always. Although I think your suggestion is really relevant for wholly pan-cooked steaks.
Good eye. Kenji did a whole series of tests and settled on 30 second increments as ideal.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never worried about good steak because the gradient wasn't perfect.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5CF128B9-F3BD-4D76-A306-DAA191702490.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know we put straws on juice boxes with grape juice. Really what is the difference between that and a straw in a bottle of wine?

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know we put straws on juice boxes with grape juice. Really what is the difference between that and a straw in a bottle of wine?
By the time you can start drinking wine, most people have developed manual dexterity and done semblance of class. YMMV.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went with the spinalis. Good choice. So much crust and chew. I think next time i might get the ribeye for something different.

But damn the spinalis is so good.

20220526_200538.jpg

Attachments

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rathbun?

Featured Sponsor

What's the biggest deciding factor for you when making a clothing purchase?

• Style of an item

• Price of an item

• Material of an item

• Brand

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onxorenally