• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not sure Kenji knows more than the Foo-steak.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
0A434EEE-C359-4708-8614-4C45E7CAAF83.jpeg

Lizard23

Reaction score
Damn... now i want some steak. Preferably with ketchup...

i am toying with the idea of dry aging myself a fridge full for the summer. Once you get a taste for the super dry aged stuff it is hard to go back.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Most steaks I do these days are sous vide then tossed onto the IR burner outside for a quick crust.

Lizard23

Reaction score
while not strictly necessary, that IR is something else.

i imagine the inferno mitigates the need to have a super dry exterior to yield an awesome crust in 60 seconds.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just looked back and I need to take more pics of my steak, but here is an example of what the reverse sear can yield.... almost no gradient, significant sear, evenly cooked...

View attachment 1568900View attachment 1568901
I still see a similar amount of grey banding in the top photo when accounting for overall thickness. The bottom looks a bit rare for my taste but does look near perfect.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
while not strictly necessary, that IR is something else.

i imagine the inferno mitigates the need to have a super dry exterior to yield an awesome crust in 60 seconds.
Part of why I use it so much it is the fact the grill is plumbed. I just wander out 30-40 minutes prior, crank it up to inferno, and never worry about running out of propane. I also don't have to worry about splatters on the cooktop as when searing off in a pan with butter/oil/aromatics.

Lizard23

Reaction score
Made more tonight. Still some banding. Next time will consider doing reverse sear, but honestly I really don’t have any complaints with how this comes out and so idiot-proof.

View attachment 1568907
looks great. I would happily eat that without complaints, but, as you say, definitely more banding than a reverse sear as exemplified in the images pio and I posted.

Lizard23

Reaction score
I also have NG on the outdoor grill and totally agree on the mess factor. For a time i used the IR with a baking steel and still do it on special occasions, but in general its not worth the extra item to clean.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks great. I would happily eat that without complaints, but, as you say, definitely more banding than a reverse sear as exemplified in the images pio and I posted.
I really just hate the idea of “undercooking” the steak in the oven and then getting the sear right at the same time as the interior temp. Even if it reduces the banding, I don’t know if I can stand that level of stress! The way I do it, I only need to pay attention to one thing at a time.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By the way, today’s cut was even nicer than yesterday’s:

BF56EEE5-C502-4770-9332-3CD06BE61E2B.jpeg

I had them cut it 2.5 inches thick. Came out to about $90 for two pounds. Is that a horrible price or okay? So jaded dealing with NYC food costs.

Lizard23

Reaction score
I really just hate the idea of “undercooking” the steak in the oven and then getting the sear right at the same time as the interior temp. Even if it reduces the banding, I don’t know if I can stand that level of stress! The way I do it, I only need to pay attention to one thing at a time.
You’re right in that you undercook a bit prior to the final sear, but the process if consistent. For arguments sake, you cook 10 degrees less than final temp and then sear, but you then do this every time.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy