• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

STEAKS!!!!!!!

Lizard23

Reaction score
With my utter lack of Galician beef, i am not sure if #blessed applies...

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#purposedrivenlife

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cooked-up an American Wagyu NY strip last night. Two-inch thick cut. Generously seasoned with salt and pepper. Pan seared with canola oil and butter, then oven finished at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Aimed for an even medium-rare/medium throughout. Used the pan-melted butter for sauce, with additional butter melted under the steak. Finished with truffle salt.

D1F2A34C-5C89-4F2B-B85F-53F689780828.jpeg

2A6FEED6-BA0C-4230-9C03-D7337826E2B3.jpeg

FF20AF22-1BC8-416F-BCA9-60E3D1EB205B.jpeg

737A0A6E-6495-43BC-86C1-E0614AAD4C0F.jpeg

703BE65E-C42E-41F5-B073-20930B35AD9D.jpeg

7EEDA719-1629-4376-BA29-20067C9FC9AA.jpeg

How’d I do? Suggestions? Next time I may aim for ever so slightly rarer.

I don’t understand the point of a reverse sear. Seems to me you just lose precision that way, as you have to guess at the right temperature to get to in the oven before further cooking the steak in the pan. Doing it the traditional way, you end with the desired interior temperature without any additional guesswork needed.

Also, how’d I do on steak quality at $45/pound?

te0o

Reaction score
I don’t understand the point of a reverse sear. Seems to me you just lose precision that way, as you have to guess at the right temperature to get to in the oven before further cooking the steak in the pan. Doing it the traditional way, you end with the desired interior temperature without any additional guesswork needed.
No precision is lost if you use a temperature probe - no guesswork required. The advantages are several but for me the main thing is the superior evenness of the pinkness inside and the absence of grey bands close to the crust - as the sear in the pan is much quicker and easier given the steak is already up to a decent temperature and the moisture on the surface is much less.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No precision is lost if you use a temperature probe - no guesswork required. The advantages are several but for me the main thing is the superior evenness of the pinkness inside and the absence of grey bands close to the crust - as the sear in the pan is much quicker and easier given the steak is already up to a decent temperature and the moisture on the surface is much less.
If you sear after the oven, you make an allowance for further cooking while in the pan. But how much? Yes, you can check the interior temp as you sear, but then the time to reach the desired doneness is a constraint on the sear—i.e., you may have to pull the steak off the pan before the sear is ideal, or leave it on longer and over-sear.

Doing it the other way around, you can get exactly the sear you want without any risk to overdoing the interior and then get the interior to exactly the right temp.

I see no difference in risk of gradient. It’s the same with both, but for the above reasons I think easier to control with the traditional method.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
*sigh*

te0o

Reaction score
If you sear after the oven, you make an allowance for further cooking while in the pan. But how much? Yes, you can check the interior temp as you sear, but then the time to reach the desired doneness is a constraint on the sear—i.e., you may have to pull the steak off the pan before the sear is ideal, or leave it on longer and over-sear.

Doing it the other way around, you can get exactly the sear you want without any risk to overdoing the interior.

I see no difference in risk of gradient. It’s the same with both, but for the above reasons I think easier to control with the traditional method.
For a steak about the size of the one you showed, I would usually keep it in the oven until it reaches internal temp of 42C. Take it out, wait 5 min until your skillet gets nice and hot, at which point the steak goes to about 48C. Sear in the pan for 2-2.5 min in total, turning every 30 seconds and adding butter + thyme/rosemary + garlic after the first minute, which lowers the temperature of the pan a bit. Usually, it's at about 50 celsius once you take it out, and with a good 10 minutes rest it goes up to a perfect 57C.

Never had an instance where the sear wasn't good enough and I've done this a few times. With a few attempts, you can get a pretty good idea of the 'allowance' needed.

My point was that the grey bands around the crust are much less pronounced in this way as the time needed to produce a Maillard reaction is reduced given the steak is already up to temperature and surface moisture is gone.

Either way works really, but for a large piece of meat, I've found that some form of oven usage does help (as long as one uses a temp probe) - the pan is more of a blunt instrument in my opinion when used on its own.

Last edited:

Lizard23

Reaction score

Doing it the other way around, you can get exactly the sear you want without any risk to overdoing the interior and then get the interior to exactly the right temp.

That steak looks great. If you are happy with it and dont care about reducing the gradient and are happy with that sear then, by all means, stick with that... nothing wrong with a pan seared steak finished in the oven. There are times when I do steak this way, especially thinner steaks.

That being said, if you want some ideas for incremental improvements:

1. Use grape seed oil or beef fat instead of canola. I save beef trimmings and sometimes use that as my cooking fat. It has a higher smoke point and there will be less off tastes from the scorched fat.

2. Reverse sear will decrease gradient whether you choose to believe it or not. The steak comes to temp more slowly and evenly.

3. A reverse seared steak will sear much faster and evenly because the exterior has dried out from the initial cook. Without this some energy is lost to evaporating water that would otherwise go to searing. We are talking a minute per side. When i use IR its more like 45 seconds. This is the main reason why i prefer reverse sear to sous vide.

4. Pre- salt your steak at least an hour in advance and leave uncovered in the fridge. For a 2 inch steak i would do overnight. Steak will be juicier and better seasoned.

I personally feel that for reverse sear to be an optimal technique, the steak should be at least 2 inches.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Please, if there is a god, don't let this turn into what I can already see it's going to turn into. Not the steak thread. Please.

Lizard23

Reaction score
Please, if there is a god, don't let this turn into what I can already see it's going to turn into. Not the steak thread. Please.
i feel like i am missing something. Apologies if i offended.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
i feel like i am missing something. Apologies if i offended.
Foo didn't come in here for advice, he came in here to defend how he cooked that steak and to tell us it's the best possible way to cook a steak. Objectively.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy