• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staying Warm in Business Wear When it is Deadly Cold Outside.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I think we all know how to stay warm in normal Winter conditions. But here in America, most of the country is going to see the coldest temperatures in decades over the next few days. So what are some tricks to staying warm in a classic suit and tie for business when the weather dictates that one should be dressed like this:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's going to be 40+ degrees tomorrow in NYC....

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you make it sound like you are in suit and tie and hanging out in the pure cold for the entire day.

Reality is that most suit & tie spent majority of time indoors, in regulated temperature setting.

When venturing outside briefly, stick with the classics: overcoat, scarf, gloves

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Make sure your overcoat is long enough (below the knees).
(2) Two pairs of thin socks can keep your feet warmer than one pair of thick ones.
(3) Wear a three-piece suit. If it's too much once you get inside you can shed the jacket and still look formal. Whether that's appropriate or not depends on your work environment, of course.
(4) Wear that gorgeous scarf you've been saving for cold weather. Makes a big difference.

Or call in sick.

Cheers,

Ac

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Live a 1/2 block away from the subway that takes you directly to the office....
-Order in lunch.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My old boss used to tell me you should never wear your suit jacket while sitting in the car. So, I used to get out of my car, put my suit jacket on, and then proceed to put my overcoat on top of it before visiting a client. Needless to say, that got really difficult when the weather started getting colder and with below zero temperatures and snow, I felt like I really might die. That and keeping your shoes and bottom of your pants clean just make winter unbearable.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live in Houston where snow doesn't exist.

Asian Afro

Reaction score

My old boss used to tell me you should never wear your suit jacket while sitting in the car. So, I used to get out of my car, put my suit jacket on, and then proceed to put my overcoat on top of it before visiting a client. Needless to say, that got really difficult when the weather started getting colder and with below zero temperatures and snow, I felt like I really might die. That and keeping your shoes and bottom of your pants clean just make winter unbearable.

If you are wearing an overcoat then you don't need to take that and your suit jacket off in a car. The overcoat should prevent your suit jacket from wrinkling much.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you make it sound like you are in suit and tie and hanging out in the pure cold for the entire day.

Reality is that most suit & tie spent majority of time indoors, in regulated temperature setting.

When venturing outside briefly, stick with the classics: overcoat, scarf, gloves

Some people have to commute and stand on train platforms and then walk a bit to work.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...(2)  Two pairs of thin socks can keep your feet warmer than one pair of thick ones.

^^^^ Going to give this a try tomorrow.

Here in Canada, my tricks:

- A big thick scarf
- silk long underwear, especially if you don't wear knee length overcoat
- layering
- Rain boots like le Chameau or Aigle (swap out to dress shoes in the office)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The high temp for tomorrow is expected to be -11 with 14" of snow and high winds. If I go to work I'll be in a 3-piece flannel suit, Alden shell high boots, down-filled puffy overcoat, gloves, scarf, and cashmere stocking cap. That's if I leave the house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads