• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staying Warm in Business Wear When it is Deadly Cold Outside.

BillP

Reaction score
Keeping the feet warm and dry is key. All my warm boots look like what the kids in A Christmas Story wore. I really need to find boots that look great but can take the cold, snow, and ice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This winter has earned them. Uniqlo heattech works pretty well and is very thin. Terramar silk on STP is another option.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This winter has earned them. Uniqlo heattech works pretty well and is very thin. Terramar silk on STP is another option.

I mean..it has not been blistering cold here yet IMO. We have had some cold days...but nothing that I felt was over the top.

Ropavejero

Reaction score

The high temp for tomorrow is expected to be -11 with 14" of snow and high winds.

Temperatures are forecast to be in that same her too.

Seriously, I can't imagine any boss, owner, supervisor, superior at work strictly enforcing any business dress code, in the arctic frigid temperatures, which have moved in across much of the United States.

I imagine you will get a gold star for the day if you if you make it in wearing jeans, warm turtle neck shirt, sweater, hoodie, parka, knit stocking cap, scarves, gloves, and boots!

Seriously, the question is kind of moot.

During our Sunday morning blizzard today, nearly every church in town (except for a scattered few where parsonage or rectory is immediately adjacent right next door) canceled worship services. I live close enough and figured I could walk to the end of our street, around the corner and the four blocks without having to get car out (doubtful I could have ever gotten it out through the snow clogged street anyway) and was planning to forgo suit and dress shoes for chukka boots, thick wool socks, corduroy pants, sweater, wool sportcoat, and parka, but got greeted with both e-mail and text messages that Divine Service had been canceled. Restaurants that depend on the Sunday dine out crowd at noon, followed suit and closed.

As for tomorrow on Monday, I just looked through the list of cancellations posted on the local radio station's website and every single school (public, private, parochial) is closed, and that means among employees, who have children, a large percentage of them won't even try to make it in because at least one parent has to stay home and baby sit the kids, as all of the day care centers have followed the lead of the schools. For this frigid winter blast, the closings are more extensive, and include: county governmental offices, courts, gobs of doctors' offices, medical clinics, and rehab centers, YMCA, pet grooming salon, nearby colleges and universities, public library in every nearby town, select state and federal government offices, some financial institutions . . . banks and credit unions have announced they will not be open, and now I see some factories and retail stores have been added to the list, along with the canceled delivery of "Meals on Wheels"to elderly homebound people, and suspension of service on commuter train in area! Seriously, while our office is scheduled to be open, I doubt that we have much business and not sure I will make it in as we have whiteout conditions tonight with the wind and blowing and drifting snow!

Even during television news conference with top governmental officials telling how hard they are trying in inclimate weather to keep streets and roads plowed, power outages restored, etc., not a one was dresses in a business suit. Most had on sweaters, down filled vest, hoodies, etc. so I doubt if you go to work you will be expected to dress up much, I would worry more about just staying warm in case train is late, car breaks down, bus slides in the snow past the stop and doesn't worry about you getting on board, or whatever!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short of hospitals and utilities, it is pretty mush unconscionable for any business to be open in the Upper Midwest today. I wonder if the fast food places are opening? And banks...

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather office is forecasting -33C with wind chill tonight and high of -17C tomorrow here in Toronto.

This Winter so far, we have had snow storm, ice storm, wide spread and lengthy power outage, deep freeze, and we have not even reached the depth of Winter yet.

salastrains

Reaction score
The loden coat is a wonderful solution for the most biting cold, which should come as no surprise considering that it originates in the Alps. I had brought mine over when lived in New England and it it worked perfectly, save it perhaps for the odd startled look from passer-bys. (mine is green with a sort of over-cape thing over the shoulders, but more understated versions do exist).

In my humble opinion reasonably warm socks (argyle socks from Burlington's, for instance) and a warm sweater between the shirt and the jacket allow to withstand the coldest of winters. If you will, a problem with office buildings in the United States - but the fad is spreading quickly on this side of the Atlantic as well - is being badly overheated. In the wintertime, 60°F would largely suffice to maintain a comfortable working environment, yet most places are in the region of 10° more.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Layer, layer, layer.

I have no problem wearing long underwear (tops and bottoms) under a suit and dress shirt if I know I am going to be outside quite a bit. Throw in a sweater under the sportcoat/suit coat and a quality wool lined long coat and you can stay pretty warm, even here in the midst of our class 3 killstorm. I also endorse the two pair of socks often being warmer than one pair of thick wool socks. However, when it gets really cold here, I do have to say "screw-it" to worrying about how my hair looks and put on a wool or cashmere watch cap that ensures my ears are covered, much warmer than my felt fedora or tweed driving cap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads