• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting to think I'm incompatible with Denim since loosing weight, suggestions?

photofabix

Reaction score
Well I posted a few months back about a significant weight drop (over 100 pounds) I was in between sizes (35"-36") and was having a hard time finding jeans. I've since dropped another 10 or so pounds and now measure a 34" waist.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm still thinking like an over weight person, but the problem is I don't want anything to snug in the waist, and nothing to snug in the crotch/thigh area. If I find a pair of jeans that aren't snug in these areas the thighs end up looking like Mc Hammer pant's. I went to a designer outlet last month and I tried on numerous cuts of jeans from from numerous companies (Gap, Jcrew, Ck, Lee, Levis (501,505,514) and a few others that escape my mind right now) I really needed to replace my 2 sizes to big Lucky jeans and I ended up just buying some Jcrew dark boot cut thinking they would work for now, but after several wears they just don't. The material sucks (rough and itchy), washing made them feel even worse. Overall I'm not thrilled with the fit, the legs look ok (no excessive boot opening) but the crotch area is cut weird and feels tight, and the waist has stretched out quit a bit as well so with out a belt they will sag some.

I really hate to spend a lot of money seeing as I'm still dropping weight, but should I just pull the trigger on one of the more approved Stylefourm brands, really open to any brand suggestions at this point.

Edit:
Also forgot to mention I looked at my Tj MAx for RRL jeans but they don't have any, and I think the rise would be to high. I have some Ralph Lauren Hayden that I got from Thrift and the rise is just ridiculous around 11.5" - 12"

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've still got a lot of weight to lose, just go buy some Levi's 514s or the new cut 501s (so I hear.. I haven't seen them yet). <$40 and they look alright. THe quality kinda sucks, but it takes about 6-8 months for my 514s to start their self-destruction, but that's okay because in 6 months you'll likely need to buy a new pair anyway due to lose more weight. It took about a week for me to get used to the fit on the 514s, but after that, they were just fine. After wearing big, baggy clothes, anything even closely resembling "Fitted" will feel a bit weird. You'll get over it.
smile.gif

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the 514.
Gj on the weight lost. This give you more time to save up for a nice pair ;]

photofabix

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I have one pair of 514 (1% elastene) just sitting in the closet, I got them nwot on ebay, I just can't get used to them. I think I might be allergic to the elastene in them, after a half hour my legs feel strange, hard to describe. I tried the raw looking ones, Bealls actually "had" a couple pairs, I just didn't think they felt much better.

Weight wise I don't have to much more to loose, I'm at 161-163 pounds, and I should be able to wear slim jeans at this weight "I think", my thighs measure about 21" at the thickest. I used to cycle allot but I think I've lost quit a bit of that muscle, but I'm slowly getting back into cycling.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
confused.gif
Trying to figure out how you dropped 110 lbs. and only 1.5" off your waist... You say you weigh 160 now and are a 34 inch waist (this doesn't sound right at all, and methinks you're buying your pants too big)? How tall are you? These numbers aren't jibing for me and if others are thinking the same thing, it's going to be difficult to get useful recommendations. Can you give a better idea of how you're built, or perhaps post some pics? Congrats on the weight loss, regardless. Dan

pepperdanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
confused.gif

Trying to figure out how you dropped 110 lbs. and only 1.5" off your waist... You say you weigh 160 now and are a 34 inch waist (this doesn't sound right at all, and methinks you're buying your pants too big)? How tall are you? These numbers aren't jibing for me and if others are thinking the same thing, it's going to be difficult to get useful recommendations. Can you give a better idea of how you're built, or perhaps post some pics?

Congrats on the weight loss, regardless.

Dan

clarification: he was at 35"-36" after losing the 110 lbs, after losing 10 more he dropped to 34"

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amirrorcrackd
confused.gif

Trying to figure out how you dropped 110 lbs. and only 1.5" off your waist... You say you weigh 160 now and are a 34 inch waist (this doesn't sound right at all, and methinks you're buying your pants too big)? How tall are you? These numbers aren't jibing for me and if others are thinking the same thing, it's going to be difficult to get useful recommendations. Can you give a better idea of how you're built, or perhaps post some pics?

Congrats on the weight loss, regardless.

Dan

Sorry my post was pretty vague I guess lol, I lost all in all 140ish pounds on my own (no pills, surgery etc) I've gone from a 50" waist at 300 some pounds to 160ish pounds 34" waist.

I have a medium build 5' 9" and typically 32" inseam

Bad pic, from a couple months ago AA tee (large) Levis 514 36"w 32"L, don't have anything much more recent, as nothing fits AA tees are getting baggy need to go to medium I think.

photofabix

Reaction score
I forgot I had this photo as well it's from around Christmas yet another bad pic, just had a tooth pulled day before.

Jcrew boot cut jeans 35"w x 32"L

gearhead

Reaction score
i think its just a matter of getting used to it, as long as the jeans don't hurt or strain ur body, ur fine.
i'm not sure why u would get itchy legs from jeans, they are cotton which is known to be soft, but this is probably saying u would want a finer weave, lighter weight, non slubby denim.
i would say go to a really good jean store, or someone very knowledgeable with lots of cuts and brands to try on, listen to what they have to say about ur body type, and just spend lots of time trying things on. Hopefully they would steer u into the right direction.
if the waist is good but hip isn't, try some low waisted jeans. high waisted jeans for me is always harder to get a good fit, top area works fine but hip bone and pocket area is always tight, so i cannot wear them unless they have stretch or i size up.

photofabix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gearhead
try some low waisted jeans. high waisted jeans for me is always harder to get a good fit, top area works fine but hip bone and pocket area is always tight, so i cannot wear them unless they have stretch or i size up.

Yea I agree I can't do high waisted anything, they always makes my hips sore for a while after wearing anything that high.

Originally Posted by gearhead
i'm not sure why u would get itchy legs from jeans, they are cotton which is known to be soft, but this is probably saying u would want a finer weave, lighter weight, non slubby denim.
Yet another challange I unfortunately have allot of allergies and sensitive skin, so either the material must be to ruff (cheap) or maybe it's the dye that some jeans use.

The material on my Lucky jeans has always been really soft, it's a shame they don't make a decent jean. I went to there store and tried on 6 different pairs just to see if they all fit me like crap. When I was fat I wore American Eagle and had no problems with them either, but at my age I don't think I would like right in AE and Lucky jeans.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think you should look into the Levis eco 539's at this point, and then maybe some of the natural or organically dyed jeans from nudies and other brands. This way you get a comfortable, yet appealing cut in denim that might not cause the weird itchiness in your legs and you are only spending at most 50$ on them.

The 514 are not a good first 'slim' jean IMO. I felt the same way about them, I knew they looked good but did not really enjoy them, especially the lycra/elastecine ones... stretch denim just doesn't feel right for me.

all just my $.o2

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
I can't comment too much on different cuts, if you're looking to go a little thrifty for this pair.

But I suggest you get used to something a bit tighter in the thighs and crotch. I think you'll really like it. Certainly, it'll take some getting used to, but I think once you've worn them for a while, you'll kick yourself for not going a little snugger sooner.

photofabix

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I was out and about today and stopped in Ross, I found some Salt Works Denim Varrick straigt leg jeans size 34, I've never herd of them. They where on clearance for $10 (looks like they sell for $175 on there site) , The fabric feels really soft (says Japanese denim), and there more form fitting, but a tad long.
Originally Posted by robbie
I think you should look into the Levis eco 539's at this point, and then maybe some of the natural or organically dyed jeans from nudies and other brands. This way you get a comfortable, yet appealing cut in denim that might not cause the weird itchiness in your legs and you are only spending at most 50$ on them. The 514 are not a good first 'slim' jean IMO. I felt the same way about them, I knew they looked good but did not really enjoy them, especially the lycra/elastecine ones... stretch denim just doesn't feel right for me. all just my $.o2
Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't herd of the 539, I'll have to check them out. So far I've really struck out with Levis though.

photofabix

Reaction score
Well I decided for the price to keep the jeans I just mentioned above, washed warm and dried to shrink. They shrank up nice, the length still seems a bit long, should I get them hemmed or just let them stack?

Click for larger pic, Salt Works straight leg denim 34W, AA tee

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
I'd hem those. I can't stand extra length on my jeans. You only need a bit taken off, and it'll make them look less baggy once they're hemmed which will make them look even better on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads