• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting over

gabby11303

Reaction score
My problem in the past is that I've been an impulse buyer. Just buying randomly and not putting anything together. I'm trying to be smarter now and plan stuff out. I need some ideas of how to build a new collection. I will probably need to hold off shopping on line until I get an idea of how different places cut their shirts. Some places I need a large, others medium. I'll be going for a more of a casual look. Definitely looking for a more fitted look than I've had in the past. I have no need for a suit right now or dress shoes. I'm just looking for a few basics to get me through this winter right now. I don't want to spend a ton of money either because I've been working out and plan on losing more weight. Down 15 lbs. so far.

I already had the following basics to get started:

Plain T-shirts (white, grey, black, red, blue, navy)
Beeswax desert boots
Two pairs of jeans (dark blue and black....needed something other than dry denim until they break in)
One sweater (navy and dark red vertical stripes)
One hoodie (navy blue sweatshirt material)
Three button ups although I'm not sold on them. All have horizontal stripes. White w/blue/black small stripes, Green, Cranberry w/small white-off white stripes
Waffle henlys for cold days (navy, grey, white, black, red)

Since I've been starting over I added the following:

1 pair of APC New Standards
1 pair of Nudie Average Joe Dry Heavy
1 pari of Nudie Slim Jim Dry black **These may be going back

Nice button up that isn't the best looking, but fits me real well:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...scid=560387012

Same as the shirt. Needed a light weight jacket and it fits me well. Got it in blue:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...001&pid=472931

I also bought two more pairs of desert boots. Suede taupe and distressed grey. I know it's overboard, but

I really like the look and fit of them. I'll add some variety in over time. I've saved some pictures from the WAYWT thread of looks I like and will add them at the bottom.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions on what my next purchases should be. More button downs? Solid, patterns, stripes? Sweaters? solid, stripes, crew, v-neck? Some different shoes/boots? Winter coat?

These are the looks I was talking about

PICT0004-1.jpg

friday-2.jpg

0425082.jpg

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a nice white collared shirt? Seems like a very basic "Basic" that you haven't covered.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
you've dropped a lot on jeans my friend.

how did you spend that much and not buy a single solid white OCBD?

I say, thrift and tailor. thrift and tailor.

if you are wanting to improve temporarily and plan on dropping some lbs i think this is the most cost effective option.

robbie

modual

Reaction score
Anyone know what the jeans are in the op's top picture ? Was thinking ns maybe but they look almost bootcut
confused.gif

bierz

Reaction score
On your sweater and button-ups ... did you mistakenly write vertical in place of horizontal and vice versa?

Desert boots are good, and you bought the same two pairs I have. Have you looked into some simple athletic shoes? All Stars maybe?

With that much dry denim, I'd have a hard time wearing the pre-distressed as I'd want to break in the dry. Maybe get rid of the slim jims you're not crazy about.

gabby11303

Reaction score
Well, I think both pairs of nudies are going back and so are the two pairs of desert boots. So, it's the APC's and the beeswax clarks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads