• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting Over

Houndstooth

Reaction score
If your were to start your career over what would you do. I'm thinking of changing careers but not sure to what. Being 47, single and free to move make my make my options easier. Any thoughts?

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Listen to jazz, drink good red wine, read, lift kettle bells, talk with friends, and pretend I'm Warren Zevon.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what were you doing before and why did you decide to switch?

if you're well off financially, take 6 mos - 1 year off and travel to all the places that you've wanted to go the past 47 years. assuming you haven't done this already. if you have, i'd do it again anyway.

-Jeff

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I haven't switched yet. At this moment I'm in the real estate Field.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something specific that you dislike or is it just general ennui?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I'd have to say a little ennui and a little boredom.
That is the modern career.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
That is the modern career.

The modern worker, however, changes careers a few times during the modern lifespan.

My better half just entered law school and now I find myself looking longing at the classroom. I would either practice law (if a school and firm would have me) or teach. The bad news is that teaching involves a pay cut, so that option loses a bit of its luster. Practicing law involves law school, which also has its downside ($$$).

Other than that there is professional speaking, but at this point I doubt I could cover my bar tabs with that sort of income.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I haven't switched yet. At this moment I'm in the real estate Field....I'd have to say a little ennui and a little boredom.
My gosh Houndstooth, reading this is very much like looking in a mirror. I, too, am in real estate, am very bored and dissatisfied. I've recently come to the conclusion that this business is a constantly repeating cycle of small little steps, and when one finishes the cycle he finds he is absolutely no further along any sort of continuum. I feel like George Jetson trying to walk Astro: "Jane, stop this crazy thing!"

I've begun shopping my resume around town. I am lucky in that I have a quite broad background in advertising, marketing, sales and media. Let me know what you come up with.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could host a reality show on HGTV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads