1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Over

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Houndstooth, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Houndstooth

Houndstooth Senior member

If your were to start your career over what would you do. I'm thinking of changing careers but not sure to what. Being 47, single and free to move make my make my options easier. Any thoughts?

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

3. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

In your free time, what do you like to do?

4. Houndstooth

Listen to jazz, drink good red wine, read, lift kettle bells, talk with friends, and pretend I'm Warren Zevon.

5. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

what were you doing before and why did you decide to switch?

if you're well off financially, take 6 mos - 1 year off and travel to all the places that you've wanted to go the past 47 years. assuming you haven't done this already. if you have, i'd do it again anyway.

-Jeff

6. Houndstooth

I haven't switched yet. At this moment I'm in the real estate Field.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Is there something specific that you dislike or is it just general ennui?

8. Houndstooth

I'd have to say a little ennui and a little boredom.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'd have to say a little ennui and a little boredom.
    That is the modern career.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

That is the modern career.

The modern worker, however, changes careers a few times during the modern lifespan.

My better half just entered law school and now I find myself looking longing at the classroom. I would either practice law (if a school and firm would have me) or teach. The bad news is that teaching involves a pay cut, so that option loses a bit of its luster. Practicing law involves law school, which also has its downside ($$$).

Other than that there is professional speaking, but at this point I doubt I could cover my bar tabs with that sort of income.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I haven't switched yet. At this moment I'm in the real estate Field....I'd have to say a little ennui and a little boredom.
    My gosh Houndstooth, reading this is very much like looking in a mirror. I, too, am in real estate, am very bored and dissatisfied. I've recently come to the conclusion that this business is a constantly repeating cycle of small little steps, and when one finishes the cycle he finds he is absolutely no further along any sort of continuum. I feel like George Jetson trying to walk Astro: "Jane, stop this crazy thing!"

I've begun shopping my resume around town. I am lucky in that I have a quite broad background in advertising, marketing, sales and media. Let me know what you come up with.

12. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

you could host a reality show on HGTV.