• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting over after a house fire.

Peter M. Williams

Reaction score
After collecting suits and accessories for thirty years, I am starting over. Already ordered the navy, charcoal, light gray, and brown suits. Work suits, nothing special. Still have one tie left, the one I was wearing the day my house burned down. May have to stick this tie in a shadow box.
I'm a lawyer, so there are weeks I wear a suit everyday. However, there are also weeks were I'm writing, reading, and doing research. As I've already purchased the four suits I require immediately, I will be taking my time to purchase additional suits. This means I can wait for sales. I don't like paying more than $800 for a suit. Also, as I'll be adding ten to twelve suits, I would like to try different brands.
Recommendations on ties is also being sought and is welcome. Three to four sports coats/blazers, and ten to fifteen pair of dress pants will also need replacing.
For shoes, I like Allen Edmonds as I am a eee width. At the moment I have a pair of Sanford Cap-toe Derby in black. A second pair of black dress shoes will be purchased. I'm leaning towards the Fifth Avenue. I lost a pair of Dalton boots in the fire. Suggestions on replacement colors? I was recently in Washington where a noticeable number of men were wearing walnut. Outside of the Dalton, I can't see myself owning a walnut color shoe.
Any and all advice is welcome. And yes, thank you, everyone is fine. The fire started during the day when no one was home. This is simply something to distract and hopefully entertain.
Thank you,
Peter

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I can't imagine the emotions and workload that come with an event like that. I guess if there's an upside, one would be to rethink design and aesthetic, and rebuild. If you take a look at what we do, here at Todd Shelton, and think we'd fit into your new aesthetic, I'd be happy to help out with a discount to get your wardrobe restarted.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size information is an important missing variable. It would help greatly to narrow down retailer options.

It doesn't sound like the time to buy high-priced ties. As such, it could range from buying rather fancy ties from Sam Hober to looking for bargains at TJ Maxx. The website (if you can see the signature) has a good article on what types of ties to purchase.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your lost. I guess my question would be what type of law do you practice. I ask this question not to be nosey however, a trial attorney would dress differently then say a patent attorney.

In my past I worked with a lot of lawyers as such I had to be aware of the type of law that they practice. This would help me recommend wardrobe options rather it be fit, color, or style.

Peter M. Williams

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your offers of assistance. I’m enjoying reading and learning a little more about style.

Mr. Shelton, I will certainly, with your consent, contact you regarding your offer. However, I’m unlikely to rebuild my personal clothing for several months. The clothing I’m purchasing, mostly jeans and t-shirts, are suffering the abuse of being warn in the burnt remains of my home. Not the environment that I want to take nice clothing. I look forward to contacting you and trying your clothing when life settles down a little.

Mensimageconsultant, I’ve contacted Sam Hober by email concerning several of their ties to see me through the next couple of months. I’m hoping to get by with three or four until I have more room to get comfortable. Also, I am a 48L.

Alpha11, I started my practice as an elder law attorney, focusing on long term care, incapacity, the protection of vulnerable adults, and contested estate. With the passage of new legislation relating to the exploitation of vulnerable adults, suddenly I found myself in the Court room defending estate plans from individuals using (and misusing) the law to set aside the last known wishes of the decedent. I now spend more time preparing for trial than in trial, or in meetings with clients. As a result, my practices no longer requires that I wear suits daily, unless I’m in trail.

Thank you for your assistance,

Peter Williams

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And pants size? Though, whatever it is, it's very likely that Lands' End will have pants that (pardon the pun) fit some needs. Not that that one brand is enough.

Now that Washington (DC?) appears not to be your hometown, could you list a location, please? Suits are best bought locally.

Last edited:

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your offers of assistance. I’m enjoying reading and learning a little more about style.

Mr. Shelton, I will certainly, with your consent, contact you regarding your offer. However, I’m unlikely to rebuild my personal clothing for several months. The clothing I’m purchasing, mostly jeans and t-shirts, are suffering the abuse of being warn in the burnt remains of my home. Not the environment that I want to take nice clothing. I look forward to contacting you and trying your clothing when life settles down a little.

Thank you for your assistance,

Peter Williams
Hi Peter. Great, when you're ready, you can reach me via email [email protected]. Good luck with the cleanup and transition into a new place. Thanks for replying.

heelguy

Reaction score
Peter: I am a lawyer in DC who wears business casual most of the time. Have a lot of ties that I don't wear (Zegna, Hermes, etc.). Be happy to send some your way.

Peter M. Williams

Reaction score
Heelguy,
Thank you. I've been humbled by the generosity that our family has received. My family has always participated in our community, but for me. I've been using my time to build our business, to make the money that I thought made our world go round. Now I have a different understanding, one that focuses on time, and the people and things that I spend my time upon. All of the things that I used for my hobbies are gone. Now I get to start over, questioning and being stingy about how I expend my time. I was lucky, this happened when my children are 10, 13, 15, and 15. My time can now be used rebuilding hobbies with them. However, I person needs a little private time. Building my wardrobe is one of the things I've chosen to spend a little of my private time.
While I appreciate your offer, and would appreciate pictures of your ties and suit combinations, I must decline. Our family has received so much that we jointly decided it was time to decline further offers and restart donating to our community. What great kids!
If you have the time, maybe you can comment on the tie order I placed this morning with Sam Hobar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads