• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting new job, business professional dress code

alv0064

Reaction score
I rather unexpectedly got offered a swanky new job, I start in two weeks. The dress code is business professional, which I take it to mean suit and tie everyday, correct? When I was in for my interviews, everyone was wearing dress shirts and ties, I gathered the jackets only go on when clients come in, but they are kept at the ready. I graduated in December, so other than the one suit I wore in for the interviews, I largely just have a student wardrobe. The most dressed up I have ever had to be for a job was a polo and black jeans. I'm 22, look very young, and I'm very skinny. I'm a little out of my depth dressing business professional.

I have some money to spend, but I also don't want to break the bank, at least until after my first paycheck. How should I approach building my wardrobe? brands? Retailers? Do's and don't's?

Also, do you all reckon I should cut my (almost) shoulder length hair into something more professional? For the interviews I just tied it up, but I always feel a little ridiculous with long hair while dressed up. Since this is my first big boy job, I want to make a good impression.

paxonus

Reaction score
Definitely get the haircut. And go to SuitSupply. One word of advice on fit. Don't get something that hugs your figure too closely. If you are skinny, you don't need to accentuate it. Go for a fit that hangs cleanly without wrinkling. Get a basic navy, and a charcoal suit. If you need more, do variations of these with some different shades and materials. Get white and light blue shirts. Start with some rep ties and repeating patterns--google "essential ties" for some ideas. And get some cap toe shoes. I would suggest dark brown, burgundy and black.

alv0064

Reaction score
Great.

I had a feeling the hair had to go, I guess I'll just ask for something clean cut and professional.

I'm probably limited to only getting one more suit due to budget at the moment. But I already have a navy one. How much do you think I'll be expected to vary things up? Should I get a different tie for each day of the week?

paxonus

Reaction score
Great.

I had a feeling the hair had to go, I guess I'll just ask for something clean cut and professional.

I'm probably limited to only getting one more suit due to budget at the moment. But I already have a navy one. How much do you think I'll be expected to vary things up? Should I get a different tie for each day of the week?
Good ties can be had cheaply on eBay. Buy several.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of good advice from Pax. Depending on the industry we could perhaps give some more precise advice.

If you are only going to buy one suit, def get a mid grey or charcoal if you have navy. The standard forum lore says charcoal but honestly I'm not a huge fan unless you are blonde. I think mid grey looks better on brunettes.

Skip the burgundy shoes till you have more budget. Brown first then black.

In terms of ties I would def recommend navy/burgundy/dark green hues. Small repeating patterns, diagonal stripes (in staid sizes and make sure not too many different colors).

Skip the fancy accoutrements like cufflinks and pocket squares unless your industry is avant garde.

Shirts in white and light blue. Bengal stripe if you want to get fancy. Propercloth is you can swing it is great.

alv0064

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the good advice. It’s another world for me since I’ve always been kind of that hippy dude with casual clothes. I’m hoping that at least I don’t have to worry about my clothes when I start. Sounds like I have a fair amount of shopping to do!

I guess you probably second getting a clean cut haircut...?

It’s a business consultant firm in Dallas.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the good advice. It’s another world for me since I’ve always been kind of that hippy dude with casual clothes. I’m hoping that at least I don’t have to worry about my clothes when I start. Sounds like I have a fair amount of shopping to do!

I guess you probably second getting a clean cut haircut...?

It’s a business consultant firm in Dallas.

Given the location and the industry, definitely.

alv0064

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the advice. I figured I’d try to save the hair haha but figured something clean cut and professional is the way to go.

alv0064

Reaction score
How is this for a good starting outfit?

I apologize for the weird looks, I was trying to take pictures without looking at my phone.

Attachments

• 46197EF8-5320-48BD-953C-E08FFAD4BE48.jpeg
    46197EF8-5320-48BD-953C-E08FFAD4BE48.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 8147CEF5-2FD3-4661-A9EF-247A440D3AD3.jpeg
    8147CEF5-2FD3-4661-A9EF-247A440D3AD3.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 163

Felime

Reaction score
I cannot comment as to fit, but the outfit looks fine. The tie isn't my bag but I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it.

As for the hair, I say this as a long haired guy (typically tied back) in a quite permissive industry (architecture/design). I wouldn't be amazingly put off by the hair (though I would imagine it on someone a decade your senior), however, I'd assume you were an engineer, and too good at your job for anyone to think of giving you guff for having some wild hair. I'd probably recommend a trim for a new hire in a business oriented setting.

That said, if it's really important to you you might be able to save it with a trim, some taming and a hair tie. A professional could give you more specific advice. You got hired with stoner hair. If you're clearly making an effort, you solicit feedback from your supervisor on if it's working, and are open to changing if it isn't, that will likely not reflect poorly on you.

If it isn't that important to you, lopping it all off is by far the easier option.

alv0064

Reaction score
I cannot comment as to fit, but the outfit looks fine. The tie isn't my bag but I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it.

As for the hair, I say this as a long haired guy (typically tied back) in a quite permissive industry (architecture/design). I wouldn't be amazingly put off by the hair (though I would imagine it on someone a decade your senior), however, I'd assume you were an engineer, and too good at your job for anyone to think of giving you guff for having some wild hair. I'd probably recommend a trim for a new hire in a business oriented setting.

That said, if it's really important to you you might be able to save it with a trim, some taming and a hair tie. A professional could give you more specific advice. You got hired with stoner hair. If you're clearly making an effort, you solicit feedback from your supervisor on if it's working, and are open to changing if it isn't, that will likely not reflect poorly on you.

If it isn't that important to you, lopping it all off is by far the easier option.

what are your issues with the tie?

yeah I’m thinking of having it cut off the collar, off of the ears, and some sort of side part.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree the tie is definitely more of a trendy thing. Ties with constant patterns tend to be survive trends. This tie reminds me of some of the types that were popular in the 80s but then died.

It will likely be very different than your counterparts at the company. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's nothing terribly wrong with having a different style than others. As long as you're very self confident and don't mind standing out.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
business/consulting.... first impressions carry a lot of weight. you want to put yourself in the best light that makes clients WANT to interact with you.
1. the hair has got to go. you don't have hair that lays flat, so long just looks wild and untamed. you don't need a high and tight USMC cut, but you DO need it cut and some styling. look at pics of famous dudes and find something you like that you think suits you. get a cut somewhere between what Leonardo DiCaprio wears and Brad Pitt currently rocks.
2. as for ties...yes, that one does look distinctly 1980s.
you want to start with conservative blues and maroons in solids, stripes, and small repeating patterns. you can branch out more after locking down the basics. and you don't have to buy $200 zenga ties. go to macys and buy some hilfigger silk ties on sale for like $30. you can buy fancier stuff as you get more comfortable with where youre at. i'm going to plagarise
@ValidusLA here because he has done the work and illustrated beautifully.. buy ties like these

alv0064

Reaction score
business/consulting.... first impressions carry a lot of weight. you want to put yourself in the best light that makes clients WANT to interact with you.
1. the hair has got to go. you don't have hair that lays flat, so long just looks wild and untamed. you don't need a high and tight USMC cut, but you DO need it cut and some styling. look at pics of famous dudes and find something you like that you think suits you. get a cut somewhere between what Leonardo DiCaprio wears and Brad Pitt currently rocks.
2. as for ties...yes, that one does look distinctly 1980s.
you want to start with conservative blues and maroons in solids, stripes, and small repeating patterns. you can branch out more after locking down the basics. and you don't have to buy $200 zenga ties. go to macys and buy some hilfigger silk ties on sale for like $30. you can buy fancier stuff as you get more comfortable with where youre at. i'm going to plagarise
@ValidusLA here because he has done the work and illustrated beautifully.. buy ties like these

great. Yeah I have to agree, the hair has got to go.This is a super jarring change going from this hair and band t’s to clean cut and suit and tie. but your right, I’ll just have to do it.

I will try to up the tie game!

Felime

Reaction score
I mean, the tie is a little 80s, but as johng said, it's funky in a way that could work if you legitimately like it. If you're meeting clients you probably want something more conservative like johnnymiz suggested. It's always better to be slightly on the conservative side when meeting clients.

Of course, I never have to wear a tie to work and just need to try harder than the engineers to be fine, so my advice on tie permissibility may be suspect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads