• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting from scratch

Exaltation

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been sporadically following this and other fashion threads on the web for a while now. Dressing well seems to be majorly important in the light of self-improvement. Because there are so many different forums and blogs on the Internet about this topic it's easy to lose sight of what the best line is to take here. I feel like dressing well can give me a big edge and thus I'm willing to relatively spend quite an amount of money for somebody my age. But I'd like to do it as well as possible for a beginner. I also think a lot of people are in the same position as me (starters who don't know where and how to start).

It's time for a new wardrobe and I'm here to ask you some questions the coming period of time.

My starting position is as following: I'm 20 years old and attending University. I regularly go out to student bars. The percentage of items that are unacceptable in my current wardrobe is about 80%+, so I'd like to start from scratch. I live in a country where well dressed men are a scarcity. It's the beginning of Fall. My budget is $4000 and I'm probably looking in the 'business casual' direction.

1) Before I buy anything, what are the must-reads?
2) What are the forums/posters/blogs I should regularly check up on?

I am extremely thankful for every piece of advice given to me.

(if this is the wrong place to start this thread I am sorry and I'm sure a moderator will be kindly enough to delete/move this)

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score
Avoid business casual. It's the nemesis to a well dressed man. You're going to have a lot of missteps, it's inevitable.

I would read the "whnay good taste" thread to learn a lot about dressing well.

A few quick tips:

Skip the crummy shoes and get quality shoes that fit well. Allen Edmonds quality should suffice. You will feel a drastic difference in quality over something like Cole Haan's and it will save you money and anguish in the long run.

Always get the longer sleeved shirt versus the shorter. So I have a 32/33 sleeve. I always go for 33 after learning that when you wear a suit jacket you NEED the extra length as a lot of the shirt gets caught in the sleeve when you move your arms. Take this advice from someone who has screwed this up.

Cardigans are generally inadvisable purchases.

Don't get pocket squares unless it's very basic white linen or matte cream silk. Pocket squares are a lot more difficult to pull off correctly than people think.

Buy lots of navy and grey socks. Those are the only colors you need to start. Wear your greys with navy trousers and vice versa. Don't match your socks to your trouser color.

Wear a modest sized watch. I have purchased large face watches in the past and regret them now. A ~40mm watch is a lot sleeker looking.

Avoid patterned clothing. It's far easier to invest in monochromatic and un-patterned clothes and learn how to wear them well together. To the untrained, patterns will cause outfit failures more often than not.

In the same way you should be considering your outfits as a whole ensemble and not individual pieces that you have to cobble together. Avoid flashy looking things for this reason.

I could go on for a long time with these tips but the ones listed above should save you from a lot of anguish. Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads