• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting from scratch... need help building my first wardrobe

kjb9937

Reaction score
I'm living in New York City, and I will be moving to London in a few weeks for business school. I would like to build a wardrobe for business formal wear, business casual wear and evening wear. I want to look my best at all times, whether I am going to school, interviewing, networking, going out for drinks, company events, working, etc.

I really don't own that much clothes, so I don't have any base. I lived frugally throughout my life until I finished university. I have an athletic build and I'm not sure if the thin European one button suit style will fit me properly. I don't know for sure, so I will try on as many things as possible to make sure I get the best clothing possible.

I'm assuming London is more expensive than New York, so I would like to do the bulk of my shopping in the USA. But, I would be willing to pick up a few things abroad as well if it's worth it.

I need things from accessories (like wallets and belts) to suits, and everything in between. Bear in mind, I rather get quality over quantity. I don't need to buy 1,000 items to have a complete wardrobe. I don't mind collecting things over time, but I need something to start out with -- i.e. a few good suits, plenty of nice business casual wear for school and evening wear for pub crawls :)

What stores should I go to? What brands should I look out for? Any particular products do you have in mind? Help me plan my NYC shopping itinerary.

I'm after a great deal, but without sacrificing quality. I want to look great, but I don't want to overspend just yet. I'm still a student. Once I land my dream job, then I'll go a little crazy. In the meantime, I just want to look the part.

This is the list that I have so far, although I don't know what to get specifically just yet:

Massimo Dutti
666 Fifth Avenue (not opened yet, I think.)

Pink
520 Madison Avenue//Bloomingdales @ Lex (going to get custom shirts: evening wear, causal and formal for suits)

Tom Ford
845 Madison Avenue//754 Fifth Avenue (Bergdorf Goodman store)

Last edited:

kjb9937

Reaction score

Thanks for providing the link. It's a much needed guide.

What's your budget?

I don't want to exceed $3,000 + ~$800 in gift cards for my first shopping round. I want to make sure that all my purchases are still usable later down the road. I don't want anything "temporary." Like I said earlier, I rather have quality over quantity so to speak.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt would be a good place to visit.

Since the job will be in London, keep in mind that brown shoes might not be okay for work there and that the British tend toward more colorful dress shirts than do Americans. It makes sense to wait until the move to buy most dress shoes, as quality mid-range footwear is much easier to find in Europe.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at SuitSupply. They sell inexpensive suits in trim, modern cuts that would probably look quite at home in London.

Balfour

Reaction score
Steer away from Pink. Wait until you get to London, and then hit Jermyn Street (in ascending price): Charles Tyrwhitt; New & Lingwood; Turnbull & Asser.

There is something in the comment about colourful shirts,(*) but I would advise against trying to ape the look. It is a component of a wider look that cannot be achieved by simply adding in a colourful shirt. It also makes co-ordination more difficult, which is not what you need when starting out. FWIW, I don't actually like it myself - I tend to wear pale blue and blue and white shirts and these will look perfectly appropriate.

(*) See e.g., http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/search?q=jermyn+street.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads