• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting from scratch, need advice.

Nicodemus

Reaction score
My professional career is about to hit a new phase and I am throwing out most of my wardrobe to start over. I'm tired of the cheap stuff I've had from Target and Khols : )

I'm 5'11, 37, 180, semi-athletic (need to get rid of the gut though). Very dark brown hair with a fair amount of grey on the sides. Trimmed beard (grey chin though haha), and wireframe glasses. Think Hugh Laurie (House), but younger and not quite as acerbic. I look better with silver over gold.

I need to dress like an executive (CEO) for dealing with venture capitalists, board rooms, international business development, and the occasional speaking engagement at professional conferences. I want to look sharp, authoritative, with a sense of style (subdued, not flashy).

I rather like french cuffs, mandarin collars, vests, and unique ties (not all at the same time haha).

Without some advice otherwise, I'll probably end up going to the Men's Wearhouse and picking up a few shirts, a black suit, a dark navy blue suit, a blazer or two (for jeans or khaki days), pair of black shoes, pair of brown shoes, and some type of overcoat (weather is generally mild here in Raleigh NC, but I'm traveling to Montana, Virginia, New York, and Europe in the near future). I plan on getting everything altered/tailored.

I am on a budget, but I have a bit to spend. Maybe $800-$1200 in the immediate term, and more later in December/January.

Should I stick with Men's Wearhouse or go for higher quality/cost (when it is on sale) at Joseph A. Bank? Point or Spread collars? Two or three button? Blazer or Sportcoat (what's the difference?) Pleated or flat? Are expensive ties really worth it? Pinstripe or solid? Brands I should avoid?

I'm not going to be messing around in New York Wall Street board rooms all the time, so I don't have to go all out, I just need to look sharp.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff. I used to think wingtips had leather wings on em. : )

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. hello and welcome
2. use the search and read WAYWRN (what are you wearing right now)
3. post pictures
4. find a tailor and a cobbler
5. be patient, IMO fine personal style (usually) needs years to come
6. have fun
smile.gif

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicodemus
I need to dress like an executive (CEO) for dealing with venture capitalists, board rooms, international business development, and the occasional speaking engagement at professional conferences. I want to look sharp, authoritative, with a sense of style (subdued, not flashy).)

Welcome to SF!
Well, there is this one CEO, who wears a turtleneck sweater, Jeans and sneakers. So why bother with suits?
smile.gif

The best way to start is simply to browse the forum, I guess, especially the "What are you wearing"-threads that are pinned at the top. A forum search will give you tons of material, too.
You might also look at http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/, where you will also get a lot of information on men's dress style.

Looking at you new job, my initial thought was: wow, 800 - 1200 $ is a pretty tight budget. Considering that you might want to buy new shoes, a briefcase etc., too. (I mean: you don't want to start your new job with a beat-up messenger bag, right?)
Make sure that the suits you buy fit right, it's not so important that they are expensive, but that they look good on you. Find out if there is a good tailor in your town, who might make little changes to your suits and shirts, in order to make them fit better.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
My professional career is about to hit a new phase and I am throwing out most of my wardrobe to start over. I'm tired of the cheap stuff I've had from Target and Khols : )

Although a lot of the stuff will not be within the resource constraints that you describe, there might be some useful thoughts for you in this thread.

Best of luck on everything.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you -do- need suits for daily wear and your budget is $1200, I'd say yes, you probably need to look at Men's Wearhouse or Jos A Bank, epecially if you need them soon.

How are you set for shoes?

A pair of basic browns, basic blacks (maybe, or two brown), and 3-4 suits in navy and gray, basic shirts in blue and white, and a handle of ties that are pretty conservative only because you may be wearing them a lot for a while until you can add to the wardrobe.

You'll be hard-pressed to do all of that for under $1200 even at the Wearhouse... but that would get you started. Then, unless you can afford to, adding 2 suits a year plus shoes and accessories is a decent pace.

Nicodemus

Reaction score
That's my short term immediate budget. I also don't need quantity for daily wear, maybe once or twice a week depending on schedule, travel, and what stage the business development cycle is at. I do plan on building a nice wardrobe over the next few years (I may start with MW or Jos now just to get things going while I learn what I like and what I need before I start spending more).

Ive got black and brown shoes, Sandro Moscoloni (nicest shoes I've ever bought), but they are old enough to be replaced.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes can be the easiest article to obtain at a good price via the Buying and Selling forum here. I say this because you can go to your local department stores and try on many of the brands that are offered here on often steep discount.

The main argument against buying shoes here are that many are used, some lightly some moreso. You may or may not have an aversion to buying used shoes.

If you post your measurements here, or add to your profile, we might be able to recommend specific items for sale.

Also, if you've scanned the topics in this forum recently, lots of fall sales are imminent. So, even if you decide to shop at major retail outlets, waiting a few more weeks could give you much better value for your dollar.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At once-twice a week sure- get yourself a couple of starters, a few shirts, the basics.

Don't over-do. You don't want a closet full of mediocre that you will regret later.

When I started rebuidling, I got two MTO suits (Cohen) from my local haberdasher. Very simple, basic and both under $400. I still wear the hell out of them. Then I picked up a two pair of great shoes for around $300-400 each... and too many socks and ties...
lol8[1].gif

Nicodemus

Reaction score
I'm already starting to look around, at least online, to see what sales are coming up. Black Friday isn't that far away.

I'll post my stats and whatnot soon, I need to get measured. I couldn't tell you what my jacket size is to save my life.

Doc4

Reaction score
I am on a budget, but I have a bit to spend. Maybe $800-$1200 in the immediate term, and more later in December/January.

Should I stick with Men's Wearhouse or go for higher quality/cost (when it is on sale) at Joseph A. Bank? Point or Spread collars? Two or three button? Blazer or Sportcoat (what's the difference?) Pleated or flat? Are expensive ties really worth it? Pinstripe or solid? Brands I should avoid?

I'm not going to be messing around in New York Wall Street board rooms all the time, so I don't have to go all out, I just need to look sharp.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff. I used to think wingtips had leather wings on em. : )

Stop bothering us with your silly questions and use the search function, and just read everything everyone has ever posted here in the 7 longest threads you can find, and leave us in peace. This is Wikipedia, after all, and not a forum for ongoing discussion ...

(Disengage sarcasm mode ... ) Ah, welcome. I just hate it when someone asks a question and the best the more knowledgeable members can do is point-&-grunt at the search function or the "what everyone ever wore some day" thread.

Given your budget, I'd encourage you to not throw out anything you haven't already, and slowly replace things one item at a time, with significant upgrades ... rather than inching things forward into the Men's Warehouse area.

Get yourself a darkish-grey or charcoal suit, and get it well-tailored. No pinstripes, no patterns or anything (makes a good background for your beloved french cuffs & ties, btw.) Get the best suit you can afford, preferably on discount. If you know what size suit you take (for it to properly fit, not too-baggy like is often sold at cheap clothing stores) keep your eye on Sierra Trading Post for an Isaia suit or two that you like. Flat-front pants, two-button jacket.

Expensive ties are worth it, but not "as much as" other items, so you can go cheap here if you have to.

A 'blazer' is typically a navy-blue 'jacket' with often shiny metal buttons; the fabric will be unpatterned. Purists will get their silk undies in a bunch if you call it a "blazer" if it doesn't have the shiny buttons, but generally think "navy blue jacket". A "sportscoat" is a little less formal, more casual, most typically in a patterned fabric of some sort.

R-H

Reaction score
To begin, purchase only very conservative clothing. These are the purchase you will never regret. Reevaluate in 4-5 months.

Don't buy anything remotely 'fancy' until you develop your style.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
To begin, purchase only very conservative clothing. These are the purchase you will never regret. Reevaluate in 4-5 months. Don't buy anything remotely 'fancy' until you develop your style.
^^^^ This. Next thing you know it..in a few months..you'll have more brown shoes then anything lol. some random helpful threads: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=77226 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=83571 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ect+dress+shoe Check out the WAYWT, and this is my favorite thread : http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=shirt+Appreciation

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads