1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Starting an Onlne Clothing Store

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Xhale12, Jan 9, 2012.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

how come one can't cherry pick the products that you want and ditch the rest from large designers? 90% of the stuff large designers come out with is crap and won't sell well anyways. it is like buying a music cd, 1 good song with 9 bad ones. so why force do designers force buyers to purchase them in the first place? it is sad going into a store and seeing stuff from a brand that is good and then noticing the medocre that will hvae to be marked down for sale at the end of the season.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. alocsin

alocsin Member

Have you considered testing the waters with an Ebay store or by selling at Fulfillment by Amazon?

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Good luck with that one. Almost all of our dealer agreements specifically say no Ebay sales and some go so far as to specifically name Amazon as well.

What the OP has in mind is no small task or for that matter cheap to do. About all I can say is do your homework and be damned well sure of all that you are getting yourself into before you do it.

4. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Farfetch has a weird model - they are essentially the web front-end for a bunch of small boutiques. They have no inventory risk, and they dropship everything, so they do zero fulfillment. If you got a lot of hustle, you can make a novel business play like they did. The current CTO of refinery29 did that on his own and he got instantly talent acquired by R29.

There are few places remaining where you can win on "I have better taste, so people will buy from me". You can't just be Barney's Co-op lite, which is what that plan sounds like.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    This is a great thread and has been insightful. Big thanks to everyone sharing their own experiences.

6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    +1. Hope this thread keeps on growing!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

When you say plenty of money, you mean at like at least a quarter of a mil right?

Also, you have to get these brands to let you sell their crap. They don't let just anyone sell their stuff. You need to have experience first and have experience in, um, you know convincing them...

8. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I need a job to get experience but I need experience to get a job!!!

Sometimes you can have the money but they aren't interested in selling to you. I was looking into stocking a certain brand and they told me to get back to them when my website looks nicer! Thankfully it is being remade right now so I shouldn't have to wait to long.

Building a good reputation is hard work.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  9. Elusive

Elusive Senior member

What you need to realize about the online world is people who buy high end clothing are being turned slowly towards the web but having an offline prescence is essential especially for the high end market

Another factor you must take into consideration is stock turnaround and making sure you can shift the numbers before the season runs out as with online selling where most people fail is inventory control

Take care of this and the rest is gravy