• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting an online magazine

ElJaguario

Reaction score
Hello, my name is John. For a while now I've wanted to start my own online magazine, about men's fashion among other things, but I don't know where to start. If anyone has had any experience in this or would like to contribute ideas or pieces for it here's my email [email protected]

Pylon

Reaction score
Steps:

1. Pretend your viewpoint is somehow unique and needed. Pretend nobody already publishes in print or online about men's fashion. Pretend that publishing on your own site is the best method for it to get read.

2. Start a blog.

3. Get in the long line of people who dreamed of making it big with online publishing.

4. Don't expect many real readers. The average is below 2 readers per blog. Since there is a good serving of blogs with readership in the thousands, you can infer then that there also must be many, many blogs with 0 actual readers.

5. After 6 months, realize you've wasted a whole lot of time and effort (and possibly some money) essentially talking to yourself. Give up.

6. Tell people at parties that you used to be Publisher of a magazine.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pylon
Steps:

1. Pretend your viewpoint is somehow unique and needed. Pretend nobody already publishes in print or online about men's fashion. Pretend that publishing on your own site is the best method for it to get read.

2. Start a blog.

3. Get in the long line of people who dreamed of making it big with online publishing.

4. Don't expect many real readers. The average is below 2 readers per blog. Since there is a good serving of blogs with readership in the thousands, you can infer then that there also must be many, many blogs with 0 actual readers.

5. After 6 months, realize you've wasted a whole lot of time and effort (and possibly some money) essentially talking to yourself. Give up.

7. Ask a bunch of random, anonymous strangers on a message board for advice rather than pros with actual experience in this sort of thing.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only there was a collective source of opinions and input on mens classic style, available online, to the masses, where individuals could share their experiences and subjective opinions on the clothes they wear, and the way they feel about them/ in them........

Oh wait.....

nevermind.

letmefly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
If only there was a collective source of opinions and input on mens classic style, available online, to the masses, where individuals could share their experiences and subjective opinions on the clothes they wear, and the way they feel about them/ in them........

Oh wait.....

nevermind.

Don't fill him with your fairy tales - clearly such a place could never exist...

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Once you have proven yourself to the SF elite you will be granted 'senior member' status. Your input and advice will be asked constantly at SF teleconferences. You will be considered a professional in the field. Start with this.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would start by taking the same photographs of the same people over and over again in NYC, and sometimes, Milan.

Post those up and see what happens.

- B

Snowman_SE

Reaction score
Steps:

2. Start a blog.

Ha ha, that's really funny. TouchÃ
00a9.png
!

ElJaguario

Reaction score
You didn't have to be douchebags about it, I just wanted some help. If that was too much to ask, style forum must be full of asshole pricks.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElJaguario
You didn't have to be douchebags about it

You really ARE new here, aren't you?

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElJaguario
You didn't have to be douchebags about it, I just wanted some random strangers on the internet with no verifyable collective experience in publishing, marketing, or business to give me advice on my tired and wholly unrealistic idea often fielded by people who have just discovered desktop publishing or the Interwebs. If all that was too much to ask, style forum must be full of asshole pricks.

There. Fixed that for you.

Not sure what else you expected. I think I laid out a pretty good predictor of where your plan will go. I am, however, a major douche for not pointing out the shortcut. You could just skip to step 6 and tell people you used to publish a magazine.

Archivist

Reaction score
You should set up meetings with venture capitalist firms and seek angel investors. I think many of them would be very excited by your unique concept.

Strange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmefly
Don't fill him with your fairy tales - clearly such a place could never exist...

I almost allowed myself to hope.
frown.gif

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steps:

2. Start a blog.

LMAO classic. +1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads