Starting an online magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ElJaguario, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Pylon

Pylon Senior member

Steps:

1. Pretend your viewpoint is somehow unique and needed. Pretend nobody already publishes in print or online about men's fashion. Pretend that publishing on your own site is the best method for it to get read.

2. Start a blog.

3. Get in the long line of people who dreamed of making it big with online publishing.

4. Don't expect many real readers. The average is below 2 readers per blog. Since there is a good serving of blogs with readership in the thousands, you can infer then that there also must be many, many blogs with 0 actual readers.

5. After 6 months, realize you've wasted a whole lot of time and effort (and possibly some money) essentially talking to yourself. Give up.

6. Tell people at parties that you used to be Publisher of a magazine.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Steps:

1. Pretend your viewpoint is somehow unique and needed. Pretend nobody already publishes in print or online about men's fashion. Pretend that publishing on your own site is the best method for it to get read.

2. Start a blog.

3. Get in the long line of people who dreamed of making it big with online publishing.

4. Don't expect many real readers. The average is below 2 readers per blog. Since there is a good serving of blogs with readership in the thousands, you can infer then that there also must be many, many blogs with 0 actual readers.

5. After 6 months, realize you've wasted a whole lot of time and effort (and possibly some money) essentially talking to yourself. Give up.

7. Ask a bunch of random, anonymous strangers on a message board for advice rather than pros with actual experience in this sort of thing.

3. Chips

Chips Senior member

If only there was a collective source of opinions and input on mens classic style, available online, to the masses, where individuals could share their experiences and subjective opinions on the clothes they wear, and the way they feel about them/ in them........

Oh wait.....

nevermind.

4. letmefly

letmefly Senior member

If only there was a collective source of opinions and input on mens classic style, available online, to the masses, where individuals could share their experiences and subjective opinions on the clothes they wear, and the way they feel about them/ in them........

Oh wait.....

nevermind.

Don't fill him with your fairy tales - clearly such a place could never exist...

5. Jay Gatsby

Jay Gatsby Senior member

Once you have proven yourself to the SF elite you will be granted 'senior member' status. Your input and advice will be asked constantly at SF teleconferences. You will be considered a professional in the field. Start with this.

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I would start by taking the same photographs of the same people over and over again in NYC, and sometimes, Milan.

Post those up and see what happens.

- B

7. Snowman_SE

Snowman_SE Active Member

Steps:

2. Start a blog.

Ha ha, that's really funny. TouchÃ[​IMG]!

8. ElJaguario

ElJaguario Member

You didn't have to be douchebags about it, I just wanted some help. If that was too much to ask, style forum must be full of asshole pricks.

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

You didn't have to be douchebags about it

You really ARE new here, aren't you?

10. Pylon

Pylon Senior member

You didn't have to be douchebags about it, I just wanted some random strangers on the internet with no verifyable collective experience in publishing, marketing, or business to give me advice on my tired and wholly unrealistic idea often fielded by people who have just discovered desktop publishing or the Interwebs. If all that was too much to ask, style forum must be full of asshole pricks.

There. Fixed that for you.

Not sure what else you expected. I think I laid out a pretty good predictor of where your plan will go. I am, however, a major douche for not pointing out the shortcut. You could just skip to step 6 and tell people you used to publish a magazine.

11. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

You should set up meetings with venture capitalist firms and seek angel investors. I think many of them would be very excited by your unique concept.

12. ElJaguario

ElJaguario Member

I should have expected this...

13. Strange

Strange Well-Known Member

Don't fill him with your fairy tales - clearly such a place could never exist...

I almost allowed myself to hope. [​IMG]

14. Bull

Bull Senior member

Steps:

2. Start a blog.

LMAO classic. +1