• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting an investment business

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have our first big meeting with two potential investors for the fund on Sunday. Knowing their net worth, anything between $200k and $1mil is possible from this meeting, but perhaps even more exciting is that they're interested in taking a small profit-sharing stake in the company in exchange for fundraising activity on our behalf. They're both very well-connected and have lots of investor friends/partners, so I'm pretty pumped. Wish us luck!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have our first big meeting with two potential investors for the fund on Sunday. Knowing their net worth, anything between $200k and $1mil is possible from this meeting, but perhaps even more exciting is that they're interested in taking a small profit-sharing stake in the company in exchange for fundraising activity on our behalf. They're both very well-connected and have lots of investor friends/partners, so I'm pretty pumped. Wish us luck!

Good luck! I am looking to strike out on my own someday as well.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just raised our first $200,000! 10% to goal!

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats!! Could I get a copy of the prospectus as well? I might be interested in investing a meager sum..

SVS

Reaction score

Congrats!! Could I get a copy of the prospectus as well? I might be interested in investing a meager sum..

+ 1 - You couldn't possibly lose more money in the market than I am.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit a new high watermark today: 19% return since inception almost 7 months ago.

Hopefully we break the 20% threshold this week, as we have an important fundraising meeting on thursday.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny -- I went back through this thread and read the whole thing, and boy did I not know what the **** I was doing/getting into when I first started this process. And I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing again six months down the road.

Still, I have to say, for anyone thinking about striking out on their own -- do it if you have the opportunity. This has been a tremendous time for learning, growth, and experience. Honestly, I was in pretty bad straits, mental-health-wise, when I first moved back to LA a year ago, and this project has largely been responsible for pulling me out of my worst moments. It's taught me that I can work hard with only internal motivation, I've learned tremendously about finance and running a business (although obviously still a total novice in an absolute sense), and I'm proud of myself and my co-founders for the dedication and follow-through we've demonstrated.

All in all, it's been a pretty life-affirming experience that has really boosted my confidence and happiness, and I think has taught me a lot (including how much I still have to learn).

And through it all, this thread has actually been a genuinely nice, supportive place, and I'm thankful for all the interest and support you guys have shown.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lulz

also, in b4 i invest in a fraud scheme and get pwned.

Last edited:

poissa

Reaction score
hey mate,

Congratulations on your start. If you're seeking small time investors, please PM me. Good luck!

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we got our foot in the door with one of the largest hedge fund seeders out there: Larch Lane Advisors. They're a 1.5bil fund of funds that focuses on emerging managers and seeding new funds -- and it looks like they may want to run us through their due diligence process. If, at the end of that 3-6 month process, they like what they see, we would receive an investment from them in the range of 75-100mil.

Pretty sure the odds are quite steep on this, but hey, I'll take any shot I can get.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoof

Just saw Nameback come up on "People You May Know" on LinkedIn. How did the investment meetings go?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bamp!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads