1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Starting an investment business

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by NameBack, Oct 19, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Congrats!! Could I get a copy of the prospectus as well? I might be interested in investing a meager sum..

2. SVS

SVS Senior member

+ 1 - You couldn't possibly lose more money in the market than I am.

3. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Hit a new high watermark today: 19% return since inception almost 7 months ago.

Hopefully we break the 20% threshold this week, as we have an important fundraising meeting on thursday.

4. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

It's funny -- I went back through this thread and read the whole thing, and boy did I not know what the fuck I was doing/getting into when I first started this process. And I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing again six months down the road.

Still, I have to say, for anyone thinking about striking out on their own -- do it if you have the opportunity. This has been a tremendous time for learning, growth, and experience. Honestly, I was in pretty bad straits, mental-health-wise, when I first moved back to LA a year ago, and this project has largely been responsible for pulling me out of my worst moments. It's taught me that I can work hard with only internal motivation, I've learned tremendously about finance and running a business (although obviously still a total novice in an absolute sense), and I'm proud of myself and my co-founders for the dedication and follow-through we've demonstrated.

All in all, it's been a pretty life-affirming experience that has really boosted my confidence and happiness, and I think has taught me a lot (including how much I still have to learn).

And through it all, this thread has actually been a genuinely nice, supportive place, and I'm thankful for all the interest and support you guys have shown.

3 people like this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lulz

also, in b4 i invest in a fraud scheme and get pwned.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. poissa

poissa Senior member

hey mate,

Congratulations on your start. If you're seeking small time investors, please PM me. Good luck!

8. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Yesterday we got our foot in the door with one of the largest hedge fund seeders out there: Larch Lane Advisors. They're a 1.5bil fund of funds that focuses on emerging managers and seeding new funds -- and it looks like they may want to run us through their due diligence process. If, at the end of that 3-6 month process, they like what they see, we would receive an investment from them in the range of 75-100mil.

Pretty sure the odds are quite steep on this, but hey, I'll take any shot I can get.

2 people like this.
  9. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Hoof

Just saw Nameback come up on "People You May Know" on LinkedIn. How did the investment meetings go?

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

11. otc

otc Senior member

He stopped posting in november.

Probably made it big, moved to the caymans, and pays someone else to post on SF for him....maybe that's why kyle is back.

12. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Maybe he blew out and jumped off a building.

13. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Or there is always Occam's Razor....