• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting an investment business

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

streak is now at 14, total yield at 15.3%
Things are starting to get rough though, business-wise. It's gonna take at least 20,000 to get legally organized as a hedge fund, and then we have to hire independent administrators, compliance consultants, and accountants.
We've been talking to a bunch of Fund of Funds and Seeder Funds and while I do think it's possible for us to go that route at some point, having no infrastructure is a definite mark against us as far as these places are concerned. So now we have to do another round of small/mid dollar fundraising to secure our start-up costs, so that we can raise large-dollar investors for actual AUM.
Starting a business is hard! In retrospect I was definitely a bit naive about how easy this would be, due to the positive feedback we were getting and the big game a lot of people were talking who all ended up flaking out. Still, I think we're capable of it and that we want to go the start-up route. We're gonna keep slogging through until we get all our legal and organizational ducks in a row, and then hopefully we'll get that crucial anchor investor!
I'm just realizing that this is going to be slower and harder than I thought. I feel a little stupid and gullible in retrospect, but we're as determined as ever to make this happen. Hopefully someday in the not-too-distant future all you high net worth SFers will be able to invest with Acale Capital Management's flagship hedge fund.

You had several strikes against you from the beginning, I imagine, but the biggest problem is that hedge funds are cold as ice right now. Big funds have been absolutely savaged and people are wary of these investment vehicles (and rightfully so, in my opinion).

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You had several strikes against you from the beginning, I imagine, but the biggest problem is that hedge funds are cold as ice right now. Big funds have been absolutely savaged and people are wary of these investment vehicles (and rightfully so, in my opinion).

Yeah, the failure of the Paulsons of the world is a black eye on the entire industry right now. 2011 is the second worst year for hedge funds on record. Average return was -5%, I believe.

Last edited:

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like we might have someone willing to finance our start-up costs ($40,000-$80,000, depending on certain quotes and so forth) for a relatively small portion of equity.

The nice thing about this is that it allows us to set up an infrastructure plan -- get squared away with all the service providers we'll need so that we can tell prospective investors who will be providing our back office operations and what best practices we will be employing, etc. Having a compliance and infrastructure plan should be especially helpful in recruiting funds from Fund of Funds and Seeders.

Have a feeling our short position that we opened on Friday will be the one to end our streak.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like we might have someone willing to finance our start-up costs ($40,000-$80,000, depending on certain quotes and so forth) for a relatively small portion of equity.
The nice thing about this is that it allows us to set up an infrastructure plan -- get squared away with all the service providers we'll need so that we can tell prospective investors who will be providing our back office operations and what best practices we will be employing, etc. Having a compliance and infrastructure plan should be especially helpful in recruiting funds from Fund of Funds and Seeders.
Have a feeling our short position that we opened on Friday will be the one to end our streak.

i think tomorrow will be a down day, so you'll streak continues :D at least i think

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nameback, have you considered approaching several larger firms that may be sitting on significant cash positions? A friend I have working at a hedge fund said that rather than attracting the swinging dicks, they targeted retail banks for their seed funds. It's unconventional but it may work pending increasing regulation and the shutdown of inhouse trading desks.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nameback, have you considered approaching several larger firms that may be sitting on significant cash positions? A friend I have working at a hedge fund said that rather than attracting the swinging dicks, they targeted retail banks for their seed funds. It's unconventional but it may work pending increasing regulation and the shutdown of inhouse trading desks.

Hadn't thought about that, no. Interesting idea.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how are you guys planning to make money off the upcoming Facebook IPO?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me at least, wait for some of the volatility to go away, then find some shares to short it till it dies.

Doesn't this all happen within 24 hours of the IPO?

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So how are you guys planning to make money off the upcoming Facebook IPO?

No plans. IPOs don't really figure into the model since we need an equity's history to train the algorithms on. No history = no model.

Today was a kickass day for us, though. Cleared 1.8%

Our awesome streak died yesterday, sadly. We made it to 14 positions, 5 weeks of uninterrupted profit. And our losing position yesterday only lost about 0.15%

So, overall we're up about 17% now and things continue to look good. Woulda been awesome if the streak had continued though.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You may try speaking with someone over at WBI regarding your regression methods. They specialize, in their back office, something similar

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I've ventured out of DT -- forgot about this thread!

Anyway, we're off our peak a bit -- down to about 14%, so nothing catastrophic. Everything continuing as normal, still pursuing leads for anchor investors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads