• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting an investment business

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the process of starting my own business -- a money management fund built on an investment algorithm that I've been building with a good friend of mine who is a stats PhD student.

We have a timeline for building a track record on both a portfolio simulator and then a relatively small-money test fund, and we are confident we can raise seed-capital to operate for at least the first year, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever started their own fund.

Are there any specific places to go for rounds of fundraising, just how huge is the legal headache, how long before you turned a profit -- any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a money management fund built on an investment algorithm that I've been building with a good friend of mine who is a stats PhD student.

Good luck.

P.S. Are you serious?

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a money management fund built on an investment algorithm that I've been building with a good friend of mine who is a stats PhD student.

Good luck.

P.S. Are you serious?

Haha, yeah we're serious. Our returns in backtesting look that good. We've had it looked over by a professional trader who verified that our methods and assumptions checked out, and we're confident we have access to enough funding when the time comes.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there aren't more professional traders on this board.

Anyway, we're taking our model "live" on an investment simulator going forward. We finally nailed down an alpha build today -- it validated at a 200% return from january 1st 2010 through today. :slayer:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyway, we're taking our model "live" on an investment simulator going forward. We finally nailed down an alpha build today -- it validated at a 200% return from january 1st 2010 through today. :slayer:

?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe in you.

PM me when you are going public.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
will you allow SFers in under the table in small amounts?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck,

Just so you know, many traders get their clientele from real world connections, family, friends, colleagues etc..

Best way is to get a name start getting investors and for fundraising. Maybe look for a round of angel investors and pitch your plan to them. (I don't think its often they would invest in something like this, but you might find someone within a group that may be interested)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you seen how professional traders dress?

There's probably on average 1 guy per firm that would have any interest in being a poster here (but they typically don't have the downtime/ability to post while working like so many posters here).

Last edited:

volatility smile

Reaction score

So... what data did you use to build the model? Surely not the same data you validated it against?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk to a lawyer, get a prospectus and show the numbers clearly and make sure they can be verified. I'd be interested in investing as well if you will take smaller amounts (don't know how much you are trying to raise...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads