• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a Weight Gaining Program

jaustin

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After months of working out I've stayed relatively the same weight, although having my muscles look better. I'm definitely an ectomorph (6' 150lbs) and I know that I'm not gaining weight because I dont eat enough (I've done research on it all, so don't blast me for just being lazy and posting, haha.)

What I'm really looking for is if any of you have good eating schedules for gaining weight (especially for hardgainers). I'll be aiming for 3500 calories/day.

Besides that, I plan on working out 4X a week with days dedicated to chest, arms/abs, legs, and back. I'll be doing 4 sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps 10/8/6/4. About 4 exercises per workout. Does all this sound ok, or are there better programs for gaining?

I also appreciate any tips you might have. Thanks

adversity04

Reaction score
Read the other thread that's on this exact same topic and active. Eat all the time.

Nashville

Reaction score
WEIGHT GAIN????????????? UUUUUGGGGGGGGG I hate YOU!!!
laugh.gif
I can seem to LOSE any!!
laugh.gif

jaustin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nashville
WEIGHT GAIN????????????? UUUUUGGGGGGGGG I hate YOU!!!
laugh.gif
I can seem to LOSE any!!
laugh.gif

Yeah, but I bet you don't look like a twig
confused.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Personally, full-body routines two to three times a week work better for me than split routines. YMMV. If you've been doing a lot of compound and olympic lifts in a full-body routine, then it might be good to change it up some, but if you haven't, I'd start there, especially if you're going to start trying to gain seriously.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stand by me for a month.

Weight, you will gain.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
do deadlifts once a week

eat an extra meal or two each day

get 1.5 grams protein per pound of bodyweight

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Personally, full-body routines two to three times a week work better for me than split routines. YMMV. If you've been doing a lot of compound and olympic lifts in a full-body routine, then it might be good to change it up some, but if you haven't, I'd start there, especially if you're going to start trying to gain seriously.

To further that:

Squat
Deadlift
Food
Bench
Row
Lunge
Food
Pullup
Dip

And food.

If you need links to decent programs or books, just ask.

lefty

metkirk

Reaction score
It's just sad now that I actually go to the gym regularly but cannot afford the food
frown.gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
To further that:

Squat
Deadlift
Food
Bench
Row
Lunge
Food
Pullup
Dip

And food.

If you need links to decent programs or books, just ask.

lefty

I'm in a similar position to the OP, at 5'9 and 115. I wonder about the wisdom of having people of our sizes doing heavy weights with such things as deadlifts and squats to start. Wouldn't those be good things to start with lower weights on, build up actual strength and endurance around the joints (esp. lower back, hips, knees, etc)? Seems like the potential for injury would be great.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Start doing them with just the bar and learn the technique from somebody with a US weightlifting cert, build up the weight slowly and your core muscles will keep up.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Start doing them with just the bar and learn the technique from somebody with a US weightlifting cert, build up the weight slowly and your core muscles will keep up.

Good advice, thanks, basically what I thought, but so frequently, the lifters on this forum will mention deadlifts, squats and heavy weights in one breath, with little notice of the fact the person asking the question is not physically adjusted to seriously strenuous exercise.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
learn the technique from somebody with a US weightlifting cert, build up the weight slowly and your core muscles will keep up.
Not really. All the lifts mentioned are straightforward and relatively simple to execute(compared to, say, power snatch). Teaching yourself is fine, as the internet offers a vast amount of resources on this topic; just remember pay attention to form at all times. Start low and gradually work your way up, of course.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Just saying, an experienced personal trainer would be fine as well. Better safe than sorry when you're ******* with your back *****!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
Good advice, thanks, basically what I thought, but so frequently, the lifters on this forum will mention deadlifts, squats and heavy weights in one breath, with little notice of the fact the person asking the question is not physically adjusted to seriously strenuous exercise.

Where did I say slap 405 lbs on a bar and start squatting?

You guys do know that the weights on the bars are ... what's the word I'm looking for ... oh yeah, adjustable?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads