• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a tie-wardrobe

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Seems like there's good advice from all sides here.

solid navy reppe silk tie

chocolate brown grenadine garza grossa

burgundy neat & navy neat patterned ties

those four will get you pretty damn far...

This is a pretty good list, on the formal side.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So much heresy.

Grenadines will be out of style soon? ("Trendy"?)

No black tie as a starter tie? Pink or yellow instead?

:facepalm:

Subtract "black" from that list and brighten it up a bit (yellow or pink would be better and optional), and it trumps PTO's advice.

That series has a strange idea of "basics." None of those, aside from the "solid" regular silk, is needed for business.

Grenadine, by the way, is a trend, a non-offensive one, but a trend nonetheless..

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie is more a formal tie (or something for a punk rocker). Yellow and pink ties are far more common as business wear and arguably could be part of a starter tie wardrobe (but probably should not be worn to interviews). If people want to say that black is okay in paisley or some other patterns or as a knit, okay, but it is never a business basic.

"Trendy" doesn't mean "out of style" soon. Some items are always around and sometimes trends become the norm - but most likely grenadine will never be very common. Again, it's fine as part of a rotation, but no article should be talking about it like it is a necessity.

OTM

Reaction score
Buy blue.

Focus on cut of shirts and suits.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black ties are certainly not only for weddings and punk rock concerts. Knit black ties can be worn with tweed. (They were a staple with the "Trad" crowd in the 60s) Solid black and pindot ties (grenadines included) can be worn with navy and grey suits in business settings.

I've yet to see a yellow tie that I like. That is too light of a color for my tastes. A rust tie is better because it has more saturation. But I wouldn't recommend a yellow or rust tie as one of someone's first 10 ties. @in stitches

Black tie is more a formal tie (or something for a punk rocker). Yellow and pink ties are far more common as business wear and arguably could be part of a starter tie wardrobe (but probably should not be worn to interviews). If people want to say that black is okay in paisley or some other patterns or as a knit, okay, but it is never a business basic.

"Trendy" doesn't mean "out of style" soon. Some items are always around and sometimes trends become the norm - but most likely grenadine will never be very common. Again, it's fine as part of a rotation, but no article should be talking about it like it is a necessity.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yellow and pink ties might be common, perhaps due to business dudes trying to Trump each other, but that doesn't make them any less ugly.

+1

Even the matte finish ones are ugly

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am no clothing expert but I do think that one can acquire pink and yellow ties that are not ugly (and I imagine some might even be nice looking). That said, in my opinion, pink and yellow should not be part of the foundation of a tie collection. Better saved for when the basics are finished.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yellow and pink can look bad on some men, much to do with personal coloring. Gold is the safest shade of yellow, and yellow is better in a pattern than as a solid. Dislike for pink seems more based on associations, such as types of people who wear or the colors often worn with it (e.g., black shirt), as well as the satin finish that many pink ties have.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you post a few good fit pics of yellow ties and pink ties?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both pink and yellow are well-established in modern professional dress. You'll find plenty of them at Ferragamo and Hermes and other places that sell ties to people whose interest in dress is mostly instrumental - they want to wear stuff that shows how efficient or respect-worthy or detail-oriented or whatever they are. Basically, the kind of people that might hire image consultants (no offense, I am sure what you do has value to your clients, but people who love clothes just as clothes don't get these ties IME, SF-legendary PCAT notwithstanding).

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, pink and yellow are for the Hermes/Vineyard Vines/Ferragamo tie crowd.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, for men with the right coloring, pink deserves serious consideration as a summer tie, matte and not necessarily in pure silk.

jeffd

Reaction score
I'm with jrd on the black tie. I find my black grenadine to be incredibly versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads