• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a tie-wardrobe

hentaisan

Reaction score
I don't have very many ties (and the ones I have are mostly gifts) and I need some guidance on starting my collection. I need some suggestions for a good basic color/pattern/texture/material combinations that will serve me for business and formal situations.

What I know about ties is to not have all silk and have some grenadine textures, etc. Also, it's good to have a patterned tie for a plain shirt, or vice versa but not both. However, I know nothing about colour coordination or what patterns to choose. I also need guidance on width, i.e, what is a suitable width for business and casual, and if it is dependent on body size, etc.

I also don't have very many shirts, so buying shirts to match ties isn't out of the question to me. I mostly wear a charcoal suit and I never wear ties without a suit.

If you can give me some recommendations on what to start with, that would be the best. If there are any links that would help me increase my understanding, that would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never buy ties to match shirts/outfits. I buy ties that I like. I probably have close to 100 and appr 30 shirts so mixing/matching is easy.
Buy ties that you like. Buy some more shirts.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you explicitly asked, there's an article if you follow the link below. It is business-focused and mostly address styles (colors, patterns, and such). Business width almost always should be between 3 and 3.75 inches and is dependent on body dimensions, an unknown at this point.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That series has a strange idea of "basics." None of those, aside from the "solid" regular silk, is needed for business.

PDandG

Reaction score
That series has a strange idea of "basics." None of those, aside from the "solid" regular silk, is needed for business.

A solid grenadine, a textured solid, a pindot, and a club(repp stripe) tie are "strange basics"?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not "needed." Many respected business tie rotations have few if any of those items. The only right thing about that idea is textural variety, which barely requires any effort.

PDandG

Reaction score
They are pretty much the basic of the basic. In my mind, a good rotation of ties for work need to be versatile and not flashy. Those kind of hit the nail on the head.

I'm interested to hear what you'd consider a respected business tie rotation.

OTM

Reaction score
Buy solid navy blue ties, possibly with very small, repeating, white patterns/embroidery. Remember that ties with sheen are for evening wear.

Buy well-fitting light blue and white shirts.

Learn to tie an excellent knot.

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the article on the website (if the site is functioning properly, grr). Unlike many articles (oversimplified, biased, or whatever), it doesn't strictly prescribe because everyone and every situation are different. In general, it's better to warn against doing specific things (e.g., satin for regular business) than to push specific things. Color and pattern (including enough variety) are more important (and easier-to-shop) starting points than texture. Grenadine, by the way, is a trend, a non-offensive one, but a trend nonetheless.

Edit: if anyone thinks the article should be more prescriptive, a line that might be added to is, Most men who wear ties to work five (or more) days per week should do that using at least three distinct colors (rather than, for example, just alternating navy and green).

Last edited:

PDandG

Reaction score
Read the article on the website (if the site is functioning properly, grr). Unlike many articles (oversimplified, biased, or whatever), it doesn't strictly prescribe because everyone and every situation are different. In general, it's better to warn against doing specific things (e.g., satin for regular business) than to push specific things. Color and pattern (including enough variety) are more important (and easier-to-shop) starting points than texture. Grenadine, by the way, is a trend, a non-offensive one, but a trend nonetheless.

Edit: if anyone thinks the article should be more prescriptive, a line that might be added to is, Most men who wear ties to work five (or more) days per week should do that using at least three distinct colors (rather than, for example, just alternating navy and green).

I tried to read it, but your site is having some issues.

I understand your point about not being too prescriptive. Clothing is about personality and everyone is definitely different. However, emphasizing color and pattern can lead one down the road that so many go down when it comes to neckwear: poorly chosen colors and gaudy patterns. See 95% of the tie wearing population today.

For a young man building his business tie wardrobe, focusing on basics is extremely important. Dark colors like navy, grey, black, burgundy and dark greens serve the role of versatility and don't draw too much attention to themselves. Focus on these colors at the beginning and branch out as one gets more comfortable with new things or wears ties in situations other than work.

A repp stripe tie with a navy ground is good for odd jackets. A black tie with white pin dots goes well with grey and navy suits. A burgundy oxford tie goes with the odd jackets and the suits.

And a navy Grenadine goes with everything.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
solid navy reppe silk tie

chocolate brown grenadine garza grossa

burgundy neat & navy neat patterned ties

those four will get you pretty damn far...

Madhouse

Reaction score
I modeled my tie wardrobe after PTO's basic tie series, and I've never been in a situation where I didn't have a tie that went with everything else I had on.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried to read it, but your site is having some issues.

I understand your point about not being too prescriptive. Clothing is about personality and everyone is definitely different. However, emphasizing color and pattern can lead one down the road that so many go down when it comes to neckwear: poorly chosen colors and gaudy patterns. See 95% of the tie wearing population today.

For a young man building his business tie wardrobe, focusing on basics is extremely important. Dark colors like navy, grey, black, burgundy and dark greens serve the role of versatility and don't draw too much attention to themselves. Focus on these colors at the beginning and branch out as one gets more comfortable with new things or wears ties in situations other than work.

A repp stripe tie with a navy ground is good for odd jackets. A black tie with white pin dots goes well with grey and navy suits. A burgundy oxford tie goes with the odd jackets and the suits.

And a navy Grenadine goes with everything.

Subtract "black" from that list and brighten it up a bit (yellow or pink would be better and optional), and it trumps PTO's advice. The MIC site is still having problems [time for a technical investigation], but that material is in the article. It tries to steer people away from the loud mistakes (in color and shine and tasteless patterns).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads