• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a tie-wardrobe

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've yet to see a yellow tie that I like. That is too light of a color for my tastes. A rust tie is better because it has more saturation. But I wouldn't recommend a yellow or rust tie as one of someone's first 10 ties. @in stitches

A true, and beautiful, rust tie, can surely be in ones first 10. imho

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In agreement with @in stitches may I?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I call that brown, but its lovely all the same.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I call that brown, but its lovely all the same.

Thanks. Interesting that mate as I ordered it from the Cappelli siteweb believing it to be brown, I feel it's more of a rust. I subsequently ordered this from Drakes as a chocolate brown.

I win twice!

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrizio Cappelli stocks a nice rust grenadine...

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleav, I have 2 almost identical ties, id call one a rusty brown and the other a dark chocolate brown. I think I only have 1 tie that I would call a true rust.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cleav, I have 2 almost identical ties, id call one a rusty brown and the other a dark chocolate brown. I think I only have 1 tie that I would call a true rust.

Right you are, I'll look through mine and may be put together a pic to help me through it.

BTW, Black gren' or/and black knit should always be in a top 10 for me @hentaisan

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been interesting and people haven't gotten very hostile. In reviewing the first post, he's probably in the UK. It would make sense if yellow ties are less popular there than in the USA. Also, the good thing about ties is that there are so many options that nobody should feel compelled to wear a color he doesn't like.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are your top 10 starter ties, MIC?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no such list. Again, too many variables (personality, personal coloring, work environment, and so on). Maybe an interview-tie list (a subset thereof) is doable.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was asking what your top 10 list is personally.

And it would be interesting to hear the top 10 business/interview tie list too

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing ties for over 50 years and have never owned or needed a grenadine. The only solid ties I've ever owned have been silk knits. I find grenadines dull. I'm not promoting ties with large patterns but I much prefer a subtle small pattern or woven small dot to a plain grenadine. the rest of my ties tend to be various reps stripes or a few heather knits and weaves.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There will not be a personal list. Objectivity is everything here. Individual tastes lead others astray.

There might be an interview-tie list. It requires some thought, including whether it is worth turning into an article.

corrid

Reaction score
Yeah, pink and yellow are for the Hermes/Vineyard Vines/Ferragamo tie crowd.
I am guessing that is considered a bad thing around here? I'm new here, and I have been replacing a lot of my older Macy's and Kohls ties with vintage Hermes and Ferragamo ties and Hermes pocket squares. I get nothing but compliments, but I am guessing that won't be the case around here?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads