• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a shoe collection...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My interest in shoes has grown immensly over the past few months... hence I am going to replace a lot of my current shoes with higher-end basics. Of course, my definition of basics will be different from everyone else's, which is what I would like opinions on. Let's say you wanted to build your 'shoe wardrobe', 6-8 pairs, for most any occasion. What would yours be? I'm looking for style, brand if you like, pics, etc. Mine would be these: Alden
AF26-view04.jpg
Ferragamo
S1M2385_mn.jpg
Puma
S4M5113_mn.jpg
RLPL Whittakers J&M
johns44350_lg.jpg
Ferragamo
F4M4072_mn.jpg

Tom

Reaction score
My personal opinion is...
I like the black cap toes, but as for the rest? Why bother?
If you are going to buy casual shoes, I'd say get the most comfortable, or most activity appropriate good leather footwear available. Birkenstock, Dansko, Filson (boots), Clarks, etc...
As for sneakers, my opinion is get the right pair for your sport, and never wear sneakers at any other time.
I suppose I don't really see the need to own casual shoes by Alden or Ferragamo. I also think that slip-ons with little metal decorations are a bit tacky. But I suppose that is the beauty of style... different folks, different tastes.

-Tom

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black cap-toes -- gotta have a pair.
The Whittakers -- love them obviously. Hopefully Bluefly will get more sizes in.
The Aldens -- I like the Norweigens, but they just seem to stylish/dressy to constitute a "basic" when you put a commando sole on them. Why not just go with the full leather sole/combination heel and make it your second pair of black dress shoes?
The J & M -- I like the style for jeans. My favorite casual shoe maker might be Paraboot, though I've never been able to find anything in my size. Take a look at that brand -- lots of cool casual styles.
The Pumas -- I think the New Balance 991 are so much more old school. The Pumas look like a cross between indoor soccer shoes and Tod's.
The bit loafers -- I hate the metal detailing. I agree that it is a bit tacky.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Alden Norwegian cordovans are shown in dark burgundy, which I'd personally prefer to black anyway, as more casual and as more original "cordovan". But you're buying the shoe, not me.

I don't have experience with the durability of Ferragamos, but I have the same style black captoe in the C&J Whitehall, which I know will last. Maybe another forum member can tell you if Ferragamo wears well.

The brown Purple Label captoe shoes are outstanding.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
BBB,

Gosh, I like these type of questions, but its just so hard to make a blanket statement of what every guy needs.

If you're talking about the specific shoes pictured, then only you can make a final determination...you know what your own budget is, how they fit in with the clothes already in your closet, what your work environment is like, etc. But I got from the tone of your question that you would like opinions on the style or content that should fill out the initial, basic shoe wardrobe of someone starting from scratch.

I think you have established a good starting point for the average guy. I would get dressy black lace-ups to start...cap-toe for myself, but a plain toe, Norwegian, or even wing-tip might work best for others....and make them the best that you could afford. You have got to have that one pair that you can start with that are rock-solid-last you more than a decade-no doubt about it-I am dressing up-shoes.

From there, if you wear suits to work, the next purcase should probably be a brown or cordovan lace-up that are also seriously dressy. If work is casual, then a nice loafer might be in order. But you would want something substantial to rotate with your black pair.

As an aside, when it comes to dress shoes, you are either a slip-on guy or you're not. I'm not much of a slip-on guy. I have one pair of tassel shoes that I would ever consider wearing with a suit, for instance, and I usually only wear them with sportcoats. I'm more of a lace-up guy when it comes to wearing suits.

After that, personality really has to take over. Casual shoes are really directed towards whatever the casual activity is, if I may state the obvious. If you go clubbing a lot, then you'd probably go with a funky slip on, or Chelseas, perhaps sneakers if you are more the active type. The rugged among us may select something like the lug soles you pictured, or a boot, maybe chukkas. I do think its a good idea for most everybody to have something of an all-weather shoe, whether Paraboot, Timberland, Rockport, etc. with comfort and durability being paramount.

I think that particluar pair of Ferragamos will look dated before too long, but the horse-bit style in general is probably a good casual shoe for most guys. I've been looking for the right pair myself for a while now.

Possibilities become endless, but suffice it to say the prepsters will gravitate towards penny loafers. Athletic types will want more trainers. Bad thing about it is, you really can get hooked on buying shoes, especially the high-end types that the clothesies around here tend to favor.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My interest in shoes has grown immensly over the past few months... hence I am going to replace a lot of my current shoes with higher-end basics. Of course, my definition of basics will be different from everyone else's, which is what I would like opinions on. Let's say you wanted to build your 'shoe wardrobe', 6-8 pairs, for most any occasion. What would yours be? I'm looking for style, brand if you like, pics, etc. Mine would be these: Alden
AF26-view04.jpg
Ferragamo
S1M2385_mn.jpg
Puma
S4M5113_mn.jpg
RLPL Whittakers J&M
johns44350_lg.jpg
Ferragamo
F4M4072_mn.jpg
Puma are not to bad...

BjornH

Reaction score
I love the Aldens - great choice. I'm not that excited about the others.

B

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the Aldens - great choice. I'm not that excited about the others.

B
What about the Whittakers? It sucks that they are out, but I assume they'll be back SOMEDAY.

Bjorn, you must admit that a pair of black cap-toes is a necessity though, right? Maybe the Ferragamos are not the greatest bang for your buck, but at least the style is indispensible IMO.

I also agree that the shoe purchase should be a bit forward thinking. If you KNOW that you will be making x amount of dollars in the next 1.0 year or so, I think your shoe purchase should be made as if you were making that money NOW -- unless of course you currently don't have the funds to make such a purchase (you don't want to be racking up needless credit card interest).

BjornH

Reaction score
Oh - didn't look at the Whittakers. They are stunning and I suppose the Pumas would look good on my feet as well.

The J&Ms look clunky to me but the rest are presentable but don't turn me on in any way. For example, black captoes can never look exciting and sexy - one will have to use other yardsticks for them like quality or comfort.

B

itzamazing

Reaction score
The Ferragamo slip-ons are currently on sale at Saks for $117, plus an extra 10% off. The NYC store had a few pairs left, I saw a size 8.5 and 12. I'm sure what is left will be gone by the end of the day today, it was pretty crowded.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny that everyone pretty much dislikes the bit loafer Ferragamos... I only included them b/c I bought them off Ebay last year
confused.gif
I really liked them at the time but am less thrilled now that my long term tastes are developing. They, along with several pairs of Kenneth Coles, will be going on Ebay very soon.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny that everyone pretty much dislikes the bit loafer Ferragamos... I only included them b/c I bought them off Ebay last year Â
confused.gif
I really liked them at the time but am less thrilled now that my long term tastes are developing. They, along with several pairs of Kenneth Coles, will be going on Ebay very soon.
What size are they? I am interested in the Ferragamos.

brescd01

Reaction score
Where did those Aldens come from? Those are a LOT nicer looking than the Norwegian displayed in their on-line catalogue: can anyone explain?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where did those Aldens come from? Those are a LOT nicer looking than the Norwegian displayed in their on-line catalogue: can anyone explain?
They're from Alden of Carmel. Adam Knott, the proprietor, has quite a selection of custom make-ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads