Starting a quality slim clothing line: Opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by augustusX, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dinted voice

dinted voice Senior member

I would be in for these shirts. I like the fit of h and m shirts but the quality leaves much to be desired. I also like the sound of slim chinos. Great idea. Good luck!

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

I think no pleats with darts works best for slim fit.

im a 16.5 (42) and a 38 chest so almost every OTR shirt is a tent.

Only 25% of my shirts have no placket, but they definately look better than those that do have plackets. There is something about it that makes it look more elegant.

3. Brennan Huff

Brennan Huff Senior member

would the back, and the sleeves be pleated?

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Not to be discouraging, but a couple members are doing very much what you're planning, so you should look into their threads about their experiences. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27219 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=thick+thieves http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...nt+wang+shirts And unless you are able and willing and have the time to do a LOT of the work yourself including building the web store, keeping up with the market (e.g. posting here and elsewhere), keeping up customer relations which can be a huge timesuck, etc., you're gonna need a lot of basically free help. Also, don't forget the amount of time and # of iterations required to refine a pattern to where it fits acceptably - even if you copy an existing shirt or pair of pants there is a fair bit involved to get it to fit the same way with materials, construction techniques, etc. Anyway, good luck!

5. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

I would buy for sure, provided it were at the $150> price point.
    I can find slim OTR shirts with all the details at this price, however, if it were supporting bretheren, I would change my buying patterns.

6. djs488

djs488 Senior member

Interested in both the shirts and the chinos, but also at the <$150 price point.

7. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Starting a men's line is some hard ass work, but fun as hell and can be extremely rewarding. I started my company not to long with a thread just like this. things are going great, I'm in a store in NYC's meatpacking district and online sales have been going extremely well.

Just make sure you love what you doing, that's my only advice. Don't start doing this just to make a quick buck.

Edit: and also give SF members a discount

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I think no pleats with darts works best for slim fit.
    I've heard of a process which spray paints the wool right on to the body. Very slim fitting. [​IMG]

9. augustusX

augustusX Member

j: Yup I've seen their work and they make fantastic items. I suppose another quality shirt out there in the market wouldn't kill, and actually my initial idea was to make a whole clothing line but I couldn't get past the initial cost so I'm using dress shirts to build up something, if anything. Appreciate your advice btw. [​IMG]

charles: I've seen your post on the ties and I'm really glad everything worked out for you. I can tell how supportive the whole forum is when it comes to nurturing ideas. SF gets discounts for sure!

Tomasso: Heck, look at the ancient egyptian mummies. They knew the radness of slim fitting since day 1.

Thanks for the pointers on the pricing. It wouldn't be crazy priced. Just well-made items with the quality I appreciate and at reasonable rates. Still not settled on the pricing though, the costs are still being worked out.

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

It's a tough business, especially with this economy. I'm actually in the midst of my own MTM suiting line like Thick As Thieves has. I'm working on my large website right now and should be receiving another prototype in the mail next week. Hopefully everything will be ready by Fall.

If you want to market it properly it is tough. I've spent the past few months honing in on my manufacturing line, my fabric supply, photographer, models, and hitting up boutiques in the area to sell them.

In order to get shirting you'll need to carry an overhead, which is risky at first. One thing I'd like to add in is ties.

11. augustusX

augustusX Member

Just a quick poll for the slim guys out there. Mind posting your neck, chest and waist size? Wanna see if my estimates are similar to the actual market. [​IMG]

12. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

I'd be interested in these shirts provided they don't cost an arm and a leg. Have you thought of outsourcing your operation to a low price source (not low quality though)? If you can outsource to a decent shirtmaker in a third-world country like Vietnam you'd save a lot of money. A side question, does anyone have info about taxes on imported clothes?

13. Brennan Huff

Brennan Huff Senior member

Just a quick poll for the slim guys out there. Mind posting your neck, chest and waist size? Wanna see if my estimates are similar to the actual market. [​IMG]

15, 36, 32

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

14.5, 34, 28

To be honest my main concern is a tapered waist (so it's fitted if I tuck it in) and slim sleeves (tiny arms). I can find shirts that fit my neck and, shoulders, and even chest but it is the waist and sleeves that kill me.

15. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

14.5, 34, 28

To be honest my main concern is a tapered waist (so it's fitted if I tuck it in) and slim sleeves (tiny arms). I can find shirts that fit my neck and, shoulders, and even chest but it is the waist and sleeves that kill me.

True. Even the "slim fit" variety if shirts I find at the mall have huge sleeves. High armhole and slim sleeves are the key.

14, 34, 29 for me.