• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a new wardrobe, weird build.

turbofunk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched the forums for an answer to my question, I was trying to avoid starting new thread so I apologize if my particular body/style question has been answered somewhere else.

Well that being said I have been trying to update my wardrobe. I'm 22 and have been wearing a ball cap, jeans, and t-shirts (mostly graphic or plain) since I've been a kid. I'm having a real big problem finding nice, stylish clothes that fit my body style (I know, everyone complains about that). Maybe you guys wouldn't mind helping me out?

I'm 6'3", I'm in the Army and have a average/athletic build. I have a longer neck it seems, but I keep by hair short since I sort of have to (high fade, very short on sides, much longer on top). So my neck might seem a bit longer. I have always had what my grandfather referred to as a "barrel" chest. All the men in my family seem to have chests that stick out a bit farther than average so no matter what shape I'm in my chest is always protruding (luckily I always look like I have at least some muscle tone in my chest). I'm maybe 10 or 15 lbs above ideal weight since I've gotten back from deployment and am recovering from injuries but I plan on getting back my muscle tone, about a 36, maybe a 38 waist.

Even buying t-shirts seems to be a hassle. If i buy a regular or athletic fit shirt it looks like it's just hanging off me and adds on 10 lbs. Large slim fits are about the only thing I've been buying for years. Jackets and other coats feel like they also hang off me. They also make me look overweight since they are pushed out from my chest. I wear straight cut jeans and a pair of converse and call it a day. I'm getting out of the Army soon and would like to update my wardrobe to fit a new life. I've purchased a couple button up long sleeve shirts, thats about it. I'm really wanting to have a casual/formal look. Vests, long sleeves, jackets (blazers, etc)...maybe a tie thrown into the mix. Most stores I go to to look and try on things all seem to have the same selection, or I know they won't work with my build and I'm to afraid to lose the money by buying what I hope might work online (at least not without some more knowledge.

If anyone can help, or needs more information, or a picture might help, I would be really appreciative. Time to get away from the Xmen shirts when I go to a nice restaurant. Thanks!

Edit: I just saw the 'ask a question, get an answer' thread. If it would help to repost I will

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirts and jackets will need to be taken in at the waist (by a tailor); virtually always doable and usually not expensive. There probably isn't anything better made for that body type than "athletic fit" is.

buzzron

Reaction score
I think the slim fit suits your body type. Post a few pictures so SF can decide.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the slim fit suits your body type. Post a few pictures so SF can decide.

If you also have broad shoulders many slim fit suits/jacket will look skimpy.
When I was your age I wore 42 R with 33" pants. I have always been "top
heavy" I was never able to wear "slim"anything.

turbofunk

Reaction score
I fear thats my problem. I wear slim tees now and I'm all chest. After a couple washes the shirts just hang off of me and It looks terrible.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just have it tapered at the sides so it still enhances your physique without it being to skinny or skimpy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads