• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a diet. Foods to avoid?

Taxler

Reaction score
You have to start somewhere, and taking note of what and how much you're eating is a good place. Unless there's an imediate health risk, I don't see the need to radically alter your diet instantly- Start with portion control, and add in more variety and balance as you progress.

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaCet
.... no one else finds a problem with this

Three meals.... no vegetables.... maybe 60 grams of protein... no healthy fat

banana an insulin spiker
m&m's.....
baked potatoes another insulin spiker and towards the end of the day
brownies... please store fat on me

best diet ever if you having trouble is

follow that did it ever live and did it ever grow from the ground......

apply that to atkins.... and disregard his idiotic plan for eating random fat.
substitute that for healthy fat and protein and all the vegetables you can manage

how can you not lose weight... supermodel in no time

He didn't ask "How can I become a ******* health nut who never eats tasty foods?" He wants to lose weight, that's all. The best way to lose weight without truly denying your tastebuds is to keep eating the foods you like(within reason),but eat HALF the amount you used to. This way you won't binge due to cravings, your stomach will shrink, and you eventually won't be able to eat as much as you used to. THEN you can concentrate on eating healthier, once you're at your goal weight. It totally works.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
OK, I'm about 5'8" and my weight has recently shot up to an uncomfortable 165 lbs. I would like to lose ten by, say, March. The basic question is "what foods should I avoid?" I've never dieted before, so I'm not well informed.

Since someone will bring up alcohol by the second or third post, I haven't had a drink in exactly a week and am trying to keep it that way until New Year's. Maybe I'll even start drinking in moderation!
rimshot.gif

Thanks in advance.

Conne , this is great you decide to drink less. hope it works out for you .

most_def

Reaction score
I have the best results when I pick up my work outs (more cardio), drink lots of water, and really watch what I'm eating. I like fruits and vegetables and I generally eat healthy but the occasional cookie or chips or fast food is always a factor. I just watch what I eat and never over indulge on foods like that. I'm not sure it's all about cutting out certain things completely, it's just eating them in moderation. And running works for sure.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsholmes1
Leave the high fructose corn syrup alone.

It gets a worse rap than it deserves.

Not saying it's good, just saying it gets a worse rap than it deserves.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like you, I'm 5'8", and last spring, my weight shot up to 172. (Yikes!) Today, my weight is 159. In June I began: Running 1-2 miles every morning. Out of bed, drink a glass of water, eat a banana, and out the door. I do the run even on Michigan's cold winter mornings. One can run in snow and on ice! I detest running on a treadmill. I'm not a hamster. After the run, I eat breakfast: usually one cup of black coffee, orange juice, and a bowl of oatmeal or Uncle Sam's cereal No more fast food. I was in the habit of eating at Wendy's at least once a week. Do most of my grocery shopping from the perimeter of the grocery store--avoid, as much possible--all the processed, fattening stuff in the central aisles. Eating more frequently during the day. But only good food. No more candy snacks. Fruit, a glass of whey chocolate protein drink. A local bakery makes a terrific all natural energy granola a bar which is great if I can't eat lunch or just am starving in the mid afternoon. I believe that they ship the product all over the country. http://www.muschiesbakedgoods.com/page5.html At main meals, I've always eaten smartly. But now, I don't allow myself to have that 2nd, 3rd, 4th helping. No white rice; brown rice. We eat salmon more regularly. Drink lots more water. Drink, drink, drink. No more post dinner, late night snacks. A piece of fruit if I really have to munch on something. This was not easy with all the post Christmas baked goods all over the kitchen. Over the holiday weekends, I actually lost a couple of pounds. I don't count calories. No fancy diet. I'm just being more prudent. I don't drink alcohol. In June, I began working with a fantastic trainer (one of the most highly rated trainers in Southeast Michigan) who has shown me how and why to exercise. And to make it fun. I look forward to exercise at home or during off moments at work. His enthusiasm for fitness is contagious. For me, this has been money well spent. Besides the weight loss, which has been a gradual thing, I've enjoyed having my clothes "let in". As a reward, I'm having a new suit made for me with a terrific suppressed waist. Good motivation to keep at it! Best wishes to you on your journey! (If I can do it, anyone can.)

most_def

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It gets a worse rap than it deserves.

Not saying it's good, just saying it gets a worse rap than it deserves.

I agree. I've seen articles that say it's no worse than table sugar, but hfcs always gets the blame. It's just about portion control and consuming what fits your lifestyle.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually better than table sugar for diabetics and dieters. Fructose is very low on the glycemic index.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads