• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Start-Up Needs Your Input!

bwqian

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been a long-time lurker of Styleforum and it has always been a great resource for everything fashion related.

I am currently in business school and our group has decided to create a start-up selling men's bags / briefcases exclusively online.

From my own experience, I found it difficult to find a well-made bag for a reasonable price when I was going through interviews. Our goal is to create high quality canvas / leather bags for undergrad / grad male students that wish to complete their outfit for their interviews and their first job. We are going after classic styles (ie. Filson-esque), but with a modern clean look.

Styleforum has always been ahead of its time and we are hoping to get some input from the community on our project. Some topics we would like to discuss are:

- What brands do you consider when looking at briefcases / bags for work / interviews?
- How much are you willing to pay for a bag? How much do you usually pay?
- Do you see a bag as an investment that you are going to be using for years to come?
- How important is Made in America or another developed country to your purchase decision?
- What characteristics do you care about the most when looking at purchasing a new bag?

Any other thoughts / comments / suggestions are greatly welcomed as well.

Thanks! :)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this an actual company or just something you're putting together on paper for a graded project?

In my experience, I don't see many guys with briefcases these days. It seems like I'm the only one hauling around a briefcase.

There are niche companies like Howard Yount that make bags like you describe. Howard Yount seems to be doing canvas briefcases ala filson http://www.howardyount.com/collections/accessories

Also, outside the Styleforum population, not many guys truly care about country of origin. They say they love things American made, but then they go down to Target and buy cheap Chinese-made stuff. Price is more important to them. I think there have been a number of studies showing that there is a disconnect between what American consumers say they like to buy their stuff from and what they actually buy.

Last edited:

bwqian

Reaction score
It's a school mandated project, but we are hoping to actually start the venture if our due diligence checks out.

Thanks for the link. Just to clarify, we are looking to make something like this Filson briefcase , but cleaner and more professional looking.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How would it be "cleaner" than the Filson? Non-contrasting colors? Smaller metal hardware? I don't think I've ever heard Filson bags called "busy." Also a canvas bag is inherently "casual," not "professional" (a leather Swaine Aldney Brigg, for instance, is more formal)

What are you thinking of pricing these at? Given the small population of guys who carry briefcases and the small population of people that care about country of origin, you'd have to price these quite low to get new converts.

Also have to factor in the cheapskate iGent crowd that tends to buy Filson's on sale or on deep discount on Fleabay.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads