• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

start of dropping out, downsizing, divesting

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's fine. One coat ... one suit ... one pair of shoes. OK, maybe two pair. Shirts are a different matter entirely. Any correctly informed elitist will without hesitation inform you that a properly-cared-for shirt needs 59 days of breathing on a hanger between wearings. This should be preferably in a room whose air has been appropriately sun-drenched (but no sun directly upon the shirts, of course) to allow proper re-oxygenation of the cotton. Hence, as stated in my previous posts, minimum 60 shirts. J - Maybe this should be in the HOF under: Shirtmaker Care?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Shirts are a different matter entirely. Any correctly informed elitist will without hesitation inform you that a properly-cared-for shirt needs 59 days of breathing on a hanger between wearings. This should be preferably in a room whose air has been appropriately sun-drenched (but no sun directly upon the shirts, of course) to allow proper re-oxygenation of the cotton. Hence, as stated in my previous posts, minimum 60 shirts.
Totally agree. Once, I only let a shirt breathe for 56 days and it completely lost some shape. It turned out all right, though, because Wal-Mart refunded my money for it.

marc37

Reaction score
Shirts are a different matter entirely. Any correctly informed elitist will without hesitation inform you that a properly-cared-for shirt needs 59 days of breathing on a hanger between wearings. This should be preferably in a room whose air has been appropriately sun-drenched (but no sun directly upon the shirts, of course) to allow proper re-oxygenation of the cotton. Hence, as stated in my previous posts, minimum 60 shirts. Â J - Maybe this should be in the HOF under: Shirtmaker Care? Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Totally fasinating Mr Kabbaz. 60 days you say, l never knew that. Hoo Roo: shooman.
biggrin.gif

PHV

Reaction score
Oh, that's fine. One coat ... one suit ... one pair of shoes. OK, maybe two pair. Shirts are a different matter entirely. Any correctly informed elitist will without hesitation inform you that a properly-cared-for shirt needs 59 days of breathing on a hanger between wearings. This should be preferably in a room whose air has been appropriately sun-drenched (but no sun directly upon the shirts, of course) to allow proper re-oxygenation of the cotton. Hence, as stated in my previous posts, minimum 60 shirts. Â J - Maybe this should be in the HOF under: Shirtmaker Care? Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Mr. Kabbaz, is this true? Ideally, though in realistic circumstances, how long could one expect for a well made shirt to last? If I were to buy a host of classically styled shirts, can I expect to get a long life out of them? Do you have clients ordering 60 shirts at a time?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was joking, PHV. About the reoxygenation thing, not the 60 shirts at a time.

And I like the idea of owning a few very good articles of clothing instead of a closet stuffed with mediocre items. While they may not live up to the hype about lasting longer, they will make you look a lot better during their existence.

PHV

Reaction score
I think he was joking, PHV. About the reoxygenation thing, not the 60 shirts at a time.

And I like the idea of owning a few very good articles of clothing instead of a closet stuffed with mediocre items. While they may not live up to the hype about lasting longer, they will make you look a lot better during their existence.
I got the gist of the tongue in cheek in his post, but I actually want to know how to care for well made shirts, and ideally how long they can last.

And yes, I do agree that it's better to buy less but to buy quality.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With shirts and suits, I'll get rid of them not because it is worn out, but its because I am tired of wearing it. Shirt needs to be replaced every season I think.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this actually is a philosophy that I have enbraced years ago, and have raised on this forum (I really hope that it doens't become mainstream - I am sick of things I like becoming fashinable for a year or two and then afterwords leaving me looking like I am a hanger on).

I would love to have a closet of only 5 "designers" - one each for socks, undrewear, shirts, suits and coats, and shoes. with some stuff like ties, hats and scarfs aside.

I would love to have all of my shirts of identical cut (actually, now I have a "work' shirt and a "dress" shirt, with the difference being that the "dress" shirts have contrasting collars and cuffs).

I would love to have all of my suits of the same cut, in similar color scheme, and to only have a small number (actually, here I also am down to 2 cuts).

I would love to be down to 5 perfect ties (here I have a long way to go).

and, my intention is to have stuff that will last my whole life, more or less, adn will only be replaced when it falls appart.

this is a process that is still developing, but I have no doubt that it will take hold in the next few years, as I weed out some of my existing stuff.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With shirts and suits, I'll get rid of them not because it is worn out, but its because I am tired of wearing it.  Shirt needs to be replaced every season I think.
Milano,
As you get older and you're finally buying the quality you really want (e.g. Brioni for you, I think), you'll have less reason to get bored and tired of what you own. It will happen.

Geronimo

Reaction score
My shirtmaker has a famous client and had told me that this client orders 75 new shirts per season (twice a year). I somewhat did not really believe it, thinking that it was somewhat outrageous, but the last time I was there to pick up my order, I noticed that client order was also ready, I did not count them but it was definetely in the 75 range.
Knowing the fabric used and what my guy charges, I'll say that on average the guy paid $500 a shirt.

G.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The client who orders 60 shirts is not as rare as you might think. If you head a multi-national business, you may have three or four homes in which you regularly reside. If your travels take you for 1-2 weeks per home, 15 shirts per home would be about right. We often take orders for a certain number of shirts and are asked to make 3 or 4 of each. These are then packaged one per fabric into separate shipping cartons. Each carton is then sent to a different address. Milano Style
With shirts and suits, I'll get rid of them not because it is worn out, but its because I am tired of wearing it. Shirt needs to be replaced every season I think.
You sound like my kind of guy. C'mon over. To All Yes, I was kidding about the 60 shirts. Not so, however, about the re-oxygenation. Shirts should be given 'hang time' inbetween each wearing. The cotton fibers do need time to rejuvenate. How long? If you have a sun-filled room where the air is nicely purified, a couple of weeks should do it. Dank, dark, back-alley city window - or no window at all? Give 'em a month or more (and consider moving). Don't, even if you have that beautiful sun-filled room, hang the shirts in the Sun. They will fade - absolutely and unevenly and unslowly. PPV
Ideally, though in realistic circumstances, how long could one expect for a well made shirt to last? If I were to buy a host of classically styled shirts, can I expect to get a long life out of them?
I expect 50-75 wearings from collars & cuffs, which will then need refurbishing, and 200+ wearings from the shirt body. I often receive shirts which are 15 years old for new collar & cuffs, not so often of 20 years, a few older than 25, and one which had achieved an age of 28. Personally, I have quite a few shirts more than 20 years old and at least a half-dozen suits of similar age. Oldest shirt is 30; oldest suit is 31. Ken
Totally agree. Once, I only let a shirt breathe for 56 days and it completely lost some shape.
How could you? You oughta be ashamed. 3 days of no posting for you.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet God. If I was of old New England prep stock, I'd be shocked at that sort of waste
smile.gif
I wear shirts until they aren't suitable for wear any longer. I have one shirt from 1989 that I wear that is still in amazing shape. I think it regenerates after each wearing. However, on to what the thread is about: I fall into the "More" school on this one. In theory having a simple wardrobe is great, I'm a big lover of simplicity and elegance, but I think I'd get tired of wearing the same pieces regularly.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in a huge and versatile wardrobe of excellent quality. I'm not there yet, but i am on my way
wink.gif
Although I will probably never ever come close to Fabio Borrelli's wardrobe (he boasts over 400 of his own suits
redface.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads