• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starch Questions

T0t

Reaction score
Hey guys, joined up not too long ago. I'm starting to get more and more into fashion and you guys seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to denim, so I have a few questions concerning starch.

Well for starters, I had no idea you were supposed to wear jeans for 5-6 months before washing them in order to get good results. All of my jeans have been washed multiple times, they've also been put in the dryer multiple times. I don't put them in the dryer anymore, I let them air-dry, but I've noticed that all of my jeans have lost that stiffness and rigidity you get when they are brand new unwashed jeans.

A friend told me that it was possible to get that stiffness and rigidity back through starch, so I've been doing some research and it turns out he's right. But I'm still confused as to how this process is done.

Well first of all, should I purchase liquid or spray starch? I could always purchase both. From what I've been reading (I've also asked people) you're supposed to soak your jeans in hot water with starch diluted in the water, let them air dry and then apply some more starch after the jeans have dried. Do you apply spray starch or liquid starch?

Is it neccesary to iron the jeans when you are applying starch? Will you still get the creasing/folding if you don't iron them?

Can I soak more than one pair of jeans in a tub with diluted starch? Or does it have to be one at a time?

Are there any specific brands of starch I should purchase? Any brands I should stay away from? Etc.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think spray starch is going to be as effective as liquid.

T0t

Reaction score
Thanks for replying man. Um, hmm I suppose you're right. I'll wait for some second opinions and hopefully get most (if not all) of my questions answered, since I'm in somewhat of a hurry :p

Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

Dexstar

Reaction score
liquid is deff more effective
but some people argue that u shouldnt starch at all because it negates the whole thing of them being naturally worn in

also if theres still some starch left on ur jeans from the manufacturer (which i doubt since u said u wahsed them multiple times) u can reactivate the starch with a cold soak (cold water will prevent severe indigo loss and shrinkage)

T0t

Reaction score
Well I have noticed that that everytime I wash my jeans and let them air-dry they're a bit stiff. But it wears out in a matter of 30-40 minutes which is very annoying. I wish they'd stay that way the entire day haha..

I'm not too worried about the starch "negating the wearing in process" since they've been put in the washer and dryer multiple times, so I'm sure it's loosened up the denim by now.

So allright I'll try to use Liquid starch. Is it neccesary to iron when using liquid starch? Can I soak more than one pair of jeans in a tub with starch or is it a one at a time process?

Any specific starch brands I should stay away from? Where can I buy starch? Etc.

Haha hopefully I get all my questions answered before tommorow, since Ill be buying the starch tommorow.

toufu

Reaction score
one at a time

and if you iron you'd be starting over your creases every time

spray starch is weak as fuk...

T0t

Reaction score
Okay thanks a lot of replying you guys.

So you guys reccomend I buy liquid starch? Allright, so lets see if I have the process down. First I go out and buy liquid starch, once I have the starch I soak a single pair of jeans with some liquid starch diluted into hot water in a tub or a bucket, correct? I let the jeans air-dry and then I'm supposed to apply more starch once it's dry. How would I go about applying the starch? I assume "liquid starch" is in a powder form? That's what a relative of mine mentioned. If it is in a powdered form, how would I go about applying the starch?

ghostdeini

Reaction score
haha... if it's in powder form, wouldn't you get white crap all over your jeans? I too am curious about the whole starching process, so please keep asking questions

Reaction score
i don't see the point of starching jeans that you've washed and tumble-dried multiple times already. were they raw to begin with?

if your ultimate goal is a good fade, wear your jeans hard.

another thing to consider is that having starched-stiff jeans is not good for the longevity of the garment and can lead to breaks at points of friction. not to mention, it just isn't comfortable, or natural, and rather fussy.

T0t

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
i don't see the point of starching jeans that you've washed and tumble-dried multiple times already. were they raw to begin with?

if your ultimate goal is a good fade, wear your jeans hard.

another thing to consider is that having starched-stiff jeans is not good for the longevity of the garment and can lead to breaks at points of friction. not to mention, it just isn't comfortable, or natural, and rather fussy.

I dont think the jeans were raw to begin with, they had fades and such when I bought them. They had been pre-washed/shrunk I think. They aren't really expensive jeans, just your typical mall shopping.

The ultimate goal is to get some of that rigidity/stiffness that was present when I first bought the jeans :] Im not too worried about fading since the jeans already have some fading present. I just want stiff jeans haha

Reaction score
ah, well. starch will stiffen 'em up.

personally, i find that the HEAVY DUTY spray starch is sufficient. just spray and walk away. no fuss.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
If I may add:

Liquid starch is, as the name says, liquid. They have powdered starch which you add hot water to to make it liquid, but no need to, just get the liquid. You don't have to soak the jeans, I'd just put it in a clean spray bottle and spray the jeans.

I know you started another thread regarding jeans, so if I may give advice on that: if you get any holiday money, treat yourself to a new pair of jeans. Lee 101Z black resin coated. From Denim Bar. The resin's gonna give you that sheen you'r looking for, they're gonna stay dark for much longer, they're slim (I remember that was a criteria), plus, I know that joey_formal will give you a great deal. There's even a 20% discount for SF members.

Brandon Abell

Reaction score
Use heavy duty spray starch. Spray the outside of the garment, turn inside-out and iron. Put back right-side out and hang to dry on one of those clamp type hangers made for this sort of thing. Ironing the same surface you starch results in a residue on your iron's soleplate which is not fun to remove.

T0t

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply guys. Thanks for the suggestion ang_kangkong, I'll def look into it.

I ended up getting both spray starch and liquid starch. Im going to do the starching process today, so lets see if I have the process down haha. First I soak a single pair of jeans in hot water with diluted liquid starch, right?
Then I let the jeans air-dry, and then I apply more starch using spray starch?

I can't iron them. So ironing the jeans won't be possible :/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads