Star Trek Technology

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by gladhands, Nov 4, 2010.

1. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Now that advances in 3D printing, make replicators seem like a feasible technology. what's next?

One thing I know, the holodeck is the least feasible.

2. lou

lou Senior member

One thing I know, the holodeck is the least feasible.

This is not an accurate statement.

http://fusionfilter.com/?p=1702

Transporter technology is far more difficult to realize than a holographic enviroment. Then there is the whole aspect of building an anti matter powered engine. Even with the engine, you need a way to create a warp bubble to so that you can exceed C.

The idea behind the warp bubble is that mass is taken out of the equation, allowing velocity beyond C.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Subscribed.

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Have you guys read Lawrence Krauss's The Physics of Start Trek? It's pretty interesting.

5. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

When I was a kid I wondered how the backwards ass Klingons got cloaking technology before the Federation, only later did I realize they stole it.

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Damn, why doesn't the feds get that shit?

Been watching TNG online from season 1 for the last 2 months. Up to season 5, just saw that one with the alien prisoner spirits that take over Data and Troi and whoever, good episode. When I watched the show as a kid I never realized how shitty everybody but picard and riker are at acting. Especially geordi, damn sucka.

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

This is not an accurate statement.

http://fusionfilter.com/?p=1702

Transporter technology is far more difficult to realize than a holographic enviroment.

But the holodeck projections are tactile, and there is seemingly limitless space. It would work if the exploits were transmitted into the people's brains, ala Total Recall, but not as a physical space.

8. lou

lou Senior member

But the holodeck projections are tactile, and there is seemingly limitless space. It would work if the exploits were transmitted into the people's brains, ala Total Recall, but not as a physical space.

Look where we have come with aviation in just 100 years.

Give us 300 years to work on holographic projection enviroments and we'll be there.

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Damn, why doesn't the feds get that shit?

Been watching TNG online from season 1 for the last 2 months. Up to season 5, just saw that one with the alien prisoner spirits that take over Data and Troi and whoever, good episode. When I watched the show as a kid I never realized how shitty everybody but picard and riker are at acting. Especially geordi, damn sucka.

There's an explanation for why the Feds never get a cloaking device (at least not until DS9). Evidently they made some treaty with the Romulans way back in the day, one of the conditions of which was an agreement by the Feds not to develop or adopt cloaking technology.

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

All I know is that I would pass the Kobayashi Maru test with flying colours.

11. intent

intent Senior member

There's an explanation for why the Feds never get a cloaking device (at least not until DS9). Evidently they made some treaty with the Romulans way back in the day, one of the conditions of which was an agreement by the Feds not to develop or adopt cloaking technology.
    I would never defer to those conditions. Those assholes get to zip around invisibly while my militarymen and citizens are none the wiser?

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Eff that noise, Kirk and Spock made off like bandits with that tech back in the OS. It was laziness and sloppy writing that made everybody forget they had it.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

anyone seen an excellent documentary called "how william shatner changed the world"

14. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

Sorry to derail, but what does everyone think of Stargate tech vs Star Trek. Depending on the species we are comparing, sometimes Star trek wins (vs SG Earthlings) and sometimes they get creamed (vs the Ancients). However, I think I like the Earthlings in SG over those on Star Trek. In SG, the humans have no problem wiping out whole civilizations with nukes.

15. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Nerds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!