1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek into Darkness (2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Dec 6, 2012.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

I won't post any, but get ready to be deflated. Seriously, I'm hoping now the spoiler site I read from is hoaxing or something.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Honestly, I don't understand why you wanted to spoil this in the first place. It's one of the few times in recent memory that I can recall having a real sense of mystery on one of the major players going into a film like this. They have done a fantastic job with the marketing teasing fans and making us wonder. I have my own hunches on the reveal and one of the things I am most looking forward to is having them play out on the big screen.

But hey, it's your life.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. javyn

javyn Senior member

I kinda had a hunch I don't know what to say. I've been excited for this since I saw the last one, and just the other day I woke up thinking "man this is probably going to suck balls". At least I have Arrested Development to look forward to...

4. Jr Mouse

First look at a Klingon without mask on from the film. Going to put it in spoiler tags for those who want to wait.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. javyn

javyn Senior member

Is that a screencap from STID or Enemy Mine? Seriously though, not bad.

1 person likes this.
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

lefty

2 people like this.
  7. Duff_Man

Duff_Man Senior member

To be fair to the new Kirk, that kid was really good.

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Brilliant. When did Leonard Nimoy start to look like my older brother???

9. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I saw the film last night, really enjoyed it. Lots of satisfying nods to yesteryear.

10. Jr Mouse

Wanted to share this review by Free Enterprise writer/producer and founding publisher of Geek Magazine, Mark A. Altman.

No spoilers for anything that we haven't already seen in the trailers and tv spots, but if you have been avoiding them you might be advised to skip.

Could not be more hyped at this point. Can't wait to catch a late showing Thursday night. :slayer:

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Absolutely awesome movie. IMAX 3D is a must.

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Tickets already purchased for tomorrow night. Yessssss.

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

Movie was very good.

Makes me yearn for a new TV series with this cast.

I'd heard rumors about Gorn returning in this movie. I guess that was not correct.

14. Jr Mouse

They returned in the official video game.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

My thoughts on it:

They took a great movie and turned it into an OK one.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  16. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Saw it in 3D--first movie I've ever seen in 3D. Really, and I hated it. It reminds me of those old "3D" video games like Doom where there's depth, sort of, but everything is still conspicuously flat. It's distracting. The worst part was that the whole screen was significantly dimmer than it should have been. And either there was something wrong with the setup I watched, or the 3d occasionally makes parts of the picture blurry.

As for the movie, it was better than the first one, but still really shallow. Again they had to ramp everything up "to eleven," and again the plot oscillated between being absurd and nonsensical. I liked the way everybody had something to do, though, but man did it drag on. And I thought Kirk might have an arc or something, but then, nope

...he decides to do whatever the hell he wants just like he did at the beginning. The only reason he doesn't lose his command for good is because he kills the guy who could take it away (who turns out to be homicidal for no apparent reason.)

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  17. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

He doesn't kill him, though. Harrison does.

PS - I'm assuming you mean Marcus. It was just the typical "covering up loose ends" plot.

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I get it, the admiral wanted to start a war and pin it on Kirk, the loose cannon. But he couldn't come up with a plan that didn't involve using up one of his secret weapons (the torpedoes) and losing one of the handful of ships they apparently had left? Was he supposed to win the entire war himself with that one ship? And how was he going to get away with shooting up the Enterprise when half the people on Earth could have seen it with a telescope? And whatever happened to the war, anyway? Did the Klingons just decide not to bother with it after all? And that's just the tip of the iceberg; the movie is a mess.

1 person likes this.
  19. javyn

javyn Senior member

Can someone please tell me the spoiler I posted in tags was completely wrong? Heheh.

20. Jr Mouse

Saw it the 2nd time last night. I'm going to share my formal thoughts on it soon, but I did enjoy it with a few nagging issues that bug me. If I had to rank the film, I would say the first one of the reboots (2009) was the better film overall.

This turned out to be spot on too. :)