• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staples that I won't grow out of

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been really bored lately and I have read this forum for like the last few days. I'm about to turn 16 and I want to start building up my wardrobe now. It would be pretty stupid to do some serious suit buying or buying custom shirts or quality denim since I'll most likely grow out of them so what are some things that I can buy right now and still use in 10+ years time?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking...

- A nice wallet - I'm looking at a quality bifold. I don't see myself using a money clip/card holder combo as I've used a wallet ever since I carried money and I don't ever see myself using those Red Moon Wallets or whatever.

- A nice watch - Something timeless that can fit all situations.

Does anyone have any other ideas on things I can and should get? Do grown men have LV wallets or is the luxury item thing just a phase?

Vecsus

Reaction score
Pick up a decent navy blazer. Multiple uses and will remain valid forever.

armorarmylt

Reaction score
well this will be my first post, but i think i can help you out here.
I turned 21 last november and decided that i needed to start dressing like what i wanted to be, a VERY responsible adult. Let me start off by saying that at 16 there really isnt much expected of you fashion wise, trends are mostly followed, with that being said, there is no reason of course why you should not have your own style(im totally for that) but if you feel that you are going to outgrow most of the stuff, it doesnt make sense going timeless, (you clearly stated that you want stuff you can wear for the next ten year). The watch, yes maybe, thats about the only thing i think you should get that you could wear till you die. Dont get a louis vuitton wallet for the love of God!, i havent met any men, older ones at least that carry one of those, leather for the most part when it comes to wallets is very basic! BESIDES, YOU R SIXTEEN

But for watches ....get this months GQ(theres a lot in GQ), theres a spread on watches under 200 dollars from makers like tissot and seiko and those guys

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how you guys talk about watches being timeless, but I've gone through about 5 in the past year. Every time I buy a watch, I get bored of it after a couple of months. And these are Swiss automatics that I'm going through...

Jthaeler

Reaction score
+1. A good watch is timeless. There are so many out there it's hard to choose. I am a personal fan of Wittnaeur. Quality time pieces without the clunk or price tag with some of the more mainstream watches.

osc

Reaction score
something to keep in mind: seeing how you're younger, what you like now and consider "timeless" may change as you grow older... for example, i've always wanted a tag when I was younger, but now that I'm older and have seen more watch selections and the rarity of some, I MUCH prefer those pieces

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of legit responses in this thread.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by armorarmylt
Dont get a louis vuitton wallet for the love of God!, i havent met any men, older ones at least that carry one of those, leather for the most part when it comes to wallets is very basic! BESIDES, YOU R SIXTEEN

LV Coated Canvas will last much longer than any leather.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 55 and the things I wore at 16 that I still wear today are:

Levis
Levis Jacket
Blue blazer
rep ties
oxford cloth shirts
khakis
boat shoes
canvas sneakers
leather hiking boots
cuff links
nice scarf
shetland wool sweaters
pea jacket
denim shirt
chambray work shirts
english bridel leather belt (larger size now)

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I'm 55 and the things I wore at 16 that I still wear today are:

Levis
Levis Jacket
Blue blazer
rep ties
oxford cloth shirts
khakis
boat shoes
canvas sneakers
leather hiking boots
cuff links
nice scarf
shetland wool sweaters
pea jacket
denim shirt
chambray work shirts
english bridel leather belt (larger size now)

unless you never grew from when you were 16
laugh.gif
, sounds like the only items that can be carried through the years and aren't size dependent are:
rep ties
cufflinks
nice scarf

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are wallets uncool around here? In 20 years I'll be out and about with my beautifully worn bifold LV wallet which is still holding up because it's LV.

But yea a watch is a good idea. I'll consider cufflinks but I don't see myself wearing a suit again anytime soon.

And I'm not going to mess with shoes because I like wearing my sneakers (Air Jordans!!) so I want to do that while I still can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads