• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staple Ties

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seen a lot of talk about staple suits, patterns, fabrics, colors etc...haven't seen much mention through searching about staple ties.

While I haven't established my own style, I think I would like the classic politician look but with more high style accessories that would separate me a little bit...mostly shoes, ties and pocket squares.

I know this is a vague topic, but in light of what I described, what would you consider to be staple ties or tie pattens? Responses with pictures are appreciated

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I would suggest you look through the "soporific tie Appreciation" thread, and use any example posted there as a basis for classic.
Spoo, I will do that. I hope you have many of your favorites in there, as I really aspire to your style tendencies. But I also know you like to reach out with your accessories. What are some of your favorites that aren't necessarily of the classic look?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you - I appreciate that.

Some recent favorite brands in general :

Marinella
Drakes
Tom Ford
Panta

Some always classic favorites :

Borrelli
Zegna
Kiton
Charvet

Some old school, non-SF approved favorites :

Versace
Kenzo
Hermes

Matt S

Reaction score
I find that with black, navy and brown grenadine ties I don't need anything else. A burgundy grenadine pretty much goes with anything so that's also a great thing to have. The grenadine ties are great with suits, and then you can get 4 silk knit ties in the same colours to wear with sports coats. You'd pretty much be set for anything with those, especially if you want to be James Bond. It's also good to have a wedding tie or two. I can't imagine anything else that you would really need as these are capable of getting you through anything. Other classic ties include pin dots and polka dots, and of course Macclesfield ties (which overlap with wedding ties). If you want more solids a herringbone tie is also great. If you belong to a club, regiment, organisation, etc that has their own tie that could also be a great addition to your wardrobe. If you go hunting, something like a bird motif would be useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads