• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren vs Tirailleur1 - Fit Battle 3/7/13

Who wins?

• StanleyVanBuren

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 42 46.2%

• Total voters

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
StanleyVanBuren vs Tirailleur1

StanleyVanBuren

Tirailleur1

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actual fit wise, stanley.
overall look, still stanley, although the color of the pants is brutal.

Tir's look is odd to me. short, full cut worsted pants, with the cardigan, what looks like a suede jacket, and the suede shoes just looks incongruent to me.

FillW

Reaction score
Mr. T has my vote!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Malford, I think they're just a random bit of fun; at least that's how I view them.

I really like both outfits here, from two guys that enjoy colour & playing around with it aggressively, within a sober form, although T is more restrained in this particular pic. But usually, these guys are often like those brightly coloured Warhol silkscreens of normal portrait photos, if you know what I mean. For me, T's outfit meshes better together this time round.

But as I said in WAYWRN thread, SvB's is personally inspiring as I recently got a similar-coloured pair of cords and am experimenting with different palettes to use with it. I wouldn't have thought of purple before. I still think his block of purple is too strong for me, and so I'd prefer a patterned tie to soften it, but it's going to get me thinking about a new set of colours together and I like that a lot.

Good stuff from both of you.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Tirailleur1 is one of the best posters this forum has, and not only that but his looks work in both CM and SWD, so it's an honor to be compared to him.

Ivar

Reaction score
Two of the forum's most stylin' guys. But a rare fail from Tirailleur this time. Cardigan looks weird and messy, and the tassel loafers ... well, I hate tassel loafers. Buren's outfit I've already commented on elsewhere:

What I like about that outfit is precisely the expert way in which he balances the garish tie (which would look awful in isolation) with equally garish pants (ditto), thus creating a harmonious whole. I also like the way the greyness of the sport coat acts as a neutral medium -- a "bridge," if you will -- between the purple and the yellow. Navy wouldn't fill that function nearly as well. My sole issue with this combination is that I think the sport coat looks a bit nappy, which jars decidedly with the summery spirit of the other pieces.

As for looking like he's trying too hard. Well, yes, you don't exactly fly under the radar with an outfit like this, but if you're in the creative industry, and you're a chill guy with some self-distance, I think this look is fine.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voted for SVB only because the clothes fit so well. That said, I don't really care for either of these fits.

Spandexter

Reaction score
SVB for me mainly because Tir's cardigan looks a little off to me. Having said that I like the diversity and great sense of individual style both these gents bring to the forum.
smile.gif

Artdeco

Reaction score
I can't say which one I prefer. They both look odd to me in their own way!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads