• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Standing desks

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am considering commissioning a desk where you stand. Looking for some design ideas.

Here's rumsfeld's:

250px-031030-F-2828D-166_screen.jpg

and here's a traditional davenport:
AF2016.jpg

I'm probably looking for something inbetween to have a leaf for using my mouse, etc. Would be curious to see if there are other nice ideas floating about.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one for myself at work, but it is dissimilar from what you have posted which look more like amped up lecterns. It is a traditional looking wood L-shaped desk. The corner of the L is on hydraulics and can be raised or lowered with the touch of a button. I love it and stand at work the whole day, unless there is a meeting in my office. I am looking into getting a treadmill for it as well so I can walk a slow pace throughout the day as well if I choose to.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much always pace about if I'm on conference calls so the treadmill is a nice idea! Probably isn't practical for my work environment.

How do you deal with computer equipment, especially mice? I'm stuck on leaves, but they may not be the best choice.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a laptop so that isn't really a problem. The part that raises does, however, have ample space for a computer, keyboard and mouse. You just need to find something sufficiently large.

The treadmill for me is somewhat of a pipe dream. For now I also pace on conference calls.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing desks are for men with raging hemorrhoids.

Seriously, I think that is why they exist. And why they were so much more popular in the nineteenth century.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that I don't have that issue. Perhaps when I get older, but not yet. I find I think and work better on my feet and standing desks fit the bill for that.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only I can recall using are at the post office.

ahe

Reaction score
How about an art drafting table, similar but usually a lot cheaper

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I am looking into getting a treadmill for it as well so I can walk a slow pace throughout the day as well if I choose to.

This actually sounds brilliant.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
This actually sounds brilliant.

Well the sentence didn't, it was terrible, but the idea is sound. I made a couple calls about the treadmill today, I'll report back if I find anything of substance.

Does anyone have a treadmill desk? I know they exist.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These seem like a cool concept. Any SFers with chronic lower back pain use these? I assume they help a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads