• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Standardstyle.com's non-sale

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you seen the so-called Warehouse sale on standardstyle.com? They're offering progressive discounts on sale merchandise (10% one day, 20% the next, 30% the third). There's only one catch: they raised the prices of all the sale merchandise. Yesterday, I was looking at some Ted Baker shoes at $80, and some Steven Alan shirts at $95. Today, the shoes are around $145, and the shirts around $125.

They've pulled this before, raising prices before issuing coupons; this time around, it seems even more deceptive, as theit email claims (incorrectly) that they've lowered prices before the disocunts began.

young7777

Reaction score
yeah i saw the exact same thing. I browsed their website over the weekend and today (after receiving their email about warehouse sale), the prices are definitely going up for the warehouse sale. the sale strategy they are using is pretty bad and kinda decieving... also back in january i bought a pair of shoe for $80 dollars (also on sale too) and when I received it, i saw the price tag on the box actually marked $45. Are they having different prices on the web and physical store?
teacha.gif
yet even with $80 the ted baker shoe i bought is still worth thot

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent them an email about this; they told me they are "looking into it," but that "sale prices are subject to change." In otehr words, we'll rope you in any way we can.

vanity

Reaction score
This is interesting. I will discontinue shopping there until this matter is resolved.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway to pull up a Google cache of past prices? In Canada, there are consumer protection laws against this. Surely in the US, you can file some sort of complaint to whatever Bureau is responsible for consumer affairs and anti-competitive acts. For example, Sears recently was found guilty of this - rasing prices on tires only to mark them down for "sales". Boycott companies who engage in blatantly shady activities, or who screw over the Forvm... like Active Endeavors.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the legal ramifications. My concern is primarily with the ethics of the situation. It is at the very least decptive; at worst, it's willfully dishonest.

I've had some other problems with Standardstyle--last year, on two separate occasions, I ordered something from them, they charged my credit card and then a week later told me that the item was out of stock. I also bought a pair of shoes from them as a final sale item; they sent the wrong size & refused to accept a return.

They do have nice things from time to time; I think, though, that I've had enugh.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Anyway to pull up a Google cache of past prices? In Canada, there are consumer protection laws against this. Surely in the US, you can file some sort of complaint to whatever Bureau is responsible for consumer affairs and anti-competitive acts.

For example, Sears recently was found guilty of this - rasing prices on tires only to mark them down for "sales".

Boycott companies who engage in blatantly shady activities, or who screw over the Forvm... like Active Endeavors.

What did Active Endeavors do?

/just curious

young7777

Reaction score
How funny!!! I bought the ted baker shoe on their sale and they also sent me the wrong shoe and wrong size (left is size 41 and right is size 42), but forturnately I called and they actually sent me the right one with next day delivery and free return.

Originally Posted by sjmin209
I also bought a pair of shoes from them as a final sale item; they sent the wrong size & refused to accept a return.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Anyway to pull up a Google cache of past prices? In Canada, there are consumer protection laws against this. Surely in the US, you can file some sort of complaint to whatever Bureau is responsible for consumer affairs and anti-competitive acts.
Clearly, you don't know anything about American capitalism. What are you, some kind of ******* communist?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Clearly, you don't know anything about American capitalism. What are you, some kind of ******* communist?

I've been called worse things by better people.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think we have any stronger insults in American English.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads