1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

"Standard Width" of a Tie? 3.5" Wide?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deveandepot1, Sep 29, 2011.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Every so often a tie pops up on ebay with a great BIN. I almost pull the trigger, but they will list the tie as having a "standard width".
    Would you say the "standard width" is about 3.5"?

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yes, though with eBay sellers there's no guarantee that's what they mean.

3. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Standard for Tom Ford last fall was 5". Standard for a hipster is 1.75". Id ask for specifics, lest you be in for a shock when the package comes.

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

There have been several "standard" widths the past fifty years. 3 1/2" perhaps has had the most run but 2 7/8" was the width for quite a while in the 70s and 80s (assuming I have my decades right) while 3.75 to 4" was the wide standard until just a few years ago.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

....and still is today on corpulent me! :)

7. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

What size tie you need at 5'4" is not the tie you'd want to wear at 6'8" as well. Always take proportion into account. That's the reason skinny ties look best on rail thin GQ models.

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Senior member

If there's a 'standard' in this, it's that eBay sellers, by standard, have no fucking idea what they are selling, and are too lazy to measure if not forced to do so. They are the ultimate flippers. Post the seller through the 'questions' channel and ask. Be clear; you want to know how long the tie is from end to end, and the width at the top of the point of the front blade (for all you eBay sellers, that's the part that shows when the tie is tied).

I love the 'bay. I detest the 'bay.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pyrhye,

You are exactly correct.

As Will mentions there are trends over time which may influence a gentleman's choice in tie construction; but in the end a man's body (height, width, upper torso etc) should be the starting point not fashion trends.

That is for a classic look that will work for many years regardless of fashion trends.

10. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Just contact the seller and ask.

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I know.
    Sometimes though something pops up with a great bin that will sell in minutes if you don't pull the trigger.