1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Standard & Strange - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by StrangeJeremy, May 13, 2014.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

But I think I need the East Coast graphic... Do kind of want something x Filth Mart, just to have it.

It's not impossible that I will find myself in S&S territory in the near future and I'd definitely make a little side trip to visit.

Van Kleef Wescos should be on my feet any day now, and so if I do visit I can go to the cafe and be like hey man my boots are named after your place. Cool, right?!?!?!

2. StrangeJeremy

StrangeJeremy Senior member Affiliate Vendor

TSPTR uses two sets of blanks for their tee's. Collab t's, like ours, are all on the Filth Mart blanks, and their mainline graphic t's are all on their own blanks.

You should come visit tho, always good to put names to faces!

3. FrankCowperwood

So are there TSPTR shirts in shop that aren't online? I ask as unnamed sources have recently provide information that there may be (Thanks Dir. Comey!!!)

4. Markboots

Markboots Senior member

Just stopped by the store for the first time tonight. Got a chance to meet Jeremy but spent most of my time talking with Brandon. Bought a LS Reigning Champ Crewneck. My first Reigning Champ item. Almost bought a light jacket.

Great selection and friendly staff. Will definitely be back.

Regards,
    Mark

2 people like this.
  5. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Senior member

Is the frog camo excluded from the discount?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  6. troika

troika Senior member

Was just in today..mmm...possibly

Also, finally pulled the trigger on a Private White waxed cotton harrington

1 person likes this.
  7. Markboots

Markboots Senior member

Hey Frank,

I am planning on going back to Standard & Strange on Black Friday. If you want, I could Facetime with you to show you what is in store if you want. Anyone with over 6,000 posts and has added a lot to the forum I don't mind helping you out.

But..... I am doing my shopping first and then can Facetime [​IMG]

Regards,
    Mark

8. StrangeJeremy

3sixteen is excluded in general because of the big drop that came in yesterday and is online now.

There's one shirt - the Oakland shirt - that we haven't gotten online yet. Same measurements as the Kooks tee. I believe we are only holding mediums on it now.

Thanks for coming by!

9. TheRiblet

TheRiblet Active Member

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what makes a denim pair of pants cost $250-350? I like supporting companies that make products in the U.S. and I can stomach splurging on custom leather products and things like that but it is hard to justify spending that much on a pair of jeans when a pair of dark, straight-leg, Levis fit just fine. At the prices that I see a lot of these denim products, it seems like you are only going to find a lot of well-to-do people, masquerading as the everyday working man, wearing them. What am I missing?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  10. StrangeJeremy

Manufacturing costs are significantly higher for smaller brands. They're using better (more expensive) fabric, hardware and trims. Labor costs are higher because they're made in countries with higher wages. They don't have the economy of scale of Levi's either - but you're not getting a mass-produced-by-the-millions product either. Lastly, smaller brands use cost-based pricing - price of their goods is directly based on the cost to manufacture it. Mass produced brands tend to use market based pricing, the price at which they think the market can bear, at significantly higher markup.

Heddels goes into more depth here: https://www.heddels.com/2016/07/how-can-jeans-cost-20-dollars-beneath-the-surface/

2 people like this.
  11. FrankCowperwood

It's a very kind offer, but I can't see ever being able to explain that one to my wife... :)

Cost-based pricing is an interesting point I hadn't heard of before. But it seems significant when you consider the costs involved in producing and selling some of these items. Anyone who's sold something on eBay can can get a sense of how the price at which an item is sold erodes with fees and shipping. And that's without allocating any other costs to the item: your internet connection, your computer, the camera/phone to take the photos, the room/building in which you sit to put the listing up, your health insurance, your time. These are all things that a business, whether its a manufacturer or retailer, has to pay for out of the goods sold. I'm sure I haven't even got all of the costs. So in that light, I think the Heddels piece asks a fair question about how can something cost as little as $20. The economics work out at certain level I suppose, as the mass merchandisers/manufacturers stay in business, but there's a cost in all this we're not typically acknowledging.

Now, does that mean that $300 jeans make sense as an every day thing for everyone? No.

But you also don't have to spend that much to get a product that's made responsibly. I can think of examples of jeans, work pants, and fatigues made in Tennessee or Texas for under $100. You can likely find some decent chinos in a similar range and that would cover most people for pants for work and home.

That being said, there are things that are interesting and different about the products sold by S&S and others. Those differences have to be something that has value for you personally (and no judgement if they don't), but people have a lot of ways they like to spend their money and we are all likely to look at how someone else chooses to do so and wonder to ourselves.

Finally, everyone in the world deserves the opportunity to make a a decent and safe living in my mind, and I'm happy to consider buying goods made anywhere by anyone if I can do it with the confidence that this opportunity is present.

All that being said... Straight out of Scappoose (with a brief stop in beautiful Oakland)... Wescos!

Got these in the mail beginning of the week and wanted to post some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I buy these sorts of jeans for the same reason I buy other clothes: fit, fabrics, details, and provenance. Sometimes I'll buy a certain pair because I like the fit better than what I can find on the lower end of the price spectrum. Sometimes it's because I've seen photos of how the material ages, and find it looks better than heavily processed fabrics at Levis. Sometimes there's a bit of cool (albeit also nerdy) detailing, like handsewing or single needle stitching. Or rivets that oxidize. Sometimes I like the story behind the brand or how the jeans were made.

I don't think jeans are a serious working man garment anymore. They have their origins in that, but they're basically the default for pants nowadays, among CEOs and laborers alike. But sure, sometimes this stuff is work in an old timey workwear-y way. It looks like you buy Truman boots, and I assume someone used to $50-100 boots might say the same of pricey boots though.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    2 people like this.
  13. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Standard and Strange, are you carrying the Kapital Ring jacket this season?

14. TheRiblet

TheRiblet Active Member

That all makes sense and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't considering seeing what the fuss is about. I guess I look at things like boots and belts as investments I will have for many many years and I just haven't looked at jeans that way in the past. I can definitely see how they would get even better with time but the longevity has been my concern.

15. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

To echo what others have already stated, better quality and construction is the short answer. I'm definitely not well-to-do but i've made the decision to buy fewer, better things than cheap items because they're cheap. Let's face it, Levi's is a former shell of what it once was and nowadays they sell mass produced garbage. When I compare my expensive denim with Levi's it's no contest. Levi's feels cheap, which is why they don't last long imo. Jeans will wear out regardless due to the nature of cotton, but i'd rather spend a little bit extra for nicer quality than keep having to spend $50 on jeans that will get replaced frequently. Also, every denim company is different. Some charge less than $100-150 for raw denim and others $200-350. $220 seems to be the going price from US denim companies and $250-350 from Japanese denim companies. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

16. StrangeJeremy

Yes - I have 2 in stock right now, and more on the way. Is there one in particular you're after?

Shoot me an email if you want to talk more about denim, and I can make some suggestions and offer some guidance on where to start. For what it's worth, my first 2 pairs of $$ denim both lasted well over 5 years. jeremy at standard and strange dot com

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

@FrankCowperwood whats that brown jacket above?

18. FrankCowperwood

Will PM you.

19. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Prefer one in Melton wool, but please let me know (via PM if you prefer) what you have or what you are getting.

20. StrangeJeremy

With over 100 years of experience under their belt, and still family-owned, Schott knows how to cut and sew a fine leather jacket. We're excited to launch their collection in our online shop with two standout pieces: the Cafecto in black steerhide, and the Cafe Racer in black horsehide.

These are both killer pieces, made in the USA and one of the best values in leather jackets out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.