• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Standard & Strange: Boots, Leather, & Denim - Official Affiliate Thread

S&S_Elliot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Are you sure that JH-1 fits TTS? The measurements even a full size up seem very small.

In our experience these run TTS, Gen takes a 40, I take a 38, very consistent with our sizing in other RMC pieces, as well as stuff we have from other brands. The fit in general for the JH-1 is more on the snug side, so I wouldn't be layering it over a bunch of other stuff.

Sizing up will give you a bit more room to layer, and a comparatively less fitted jacket, but it comes down to preference at that point.

Hope that helps!

S&S_Elliot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Knitwear restocks today, Styleforum users! All cotton, all comfy, and all from The Real McCoy's!

This post is also the only thing standing between me and eating my Monday morning bagel - so know that once this is posted, my computer has been shut down, and I am sitting in my garden eating a bagel and sipping tea. Internalize this knowledge.

grid.PNG

Anyways... Ball Park Knits! The 12oz kind, specifically. These are some of our very favorite sweatshirts & hoodies, produced on vintage machines, they're not loopwheel, but they are a sinker-weave, with a thick, tightly woven face and superbly soft brushed interior.

Also back for the first time since 2018 are the Joe McCoy Waffle Knit Henleys, which are a fantastic middle-of-the-road thermal with a henley neckline. Not too warm, but certainly not insubstantial, these make great shirts for the majority of the year, and become a welcome base layer when things cool down. Available in three colors!

Finally, one of my underrated favorites (and the first piece I received at S&S as an employee) returns - the Military Thermal Shirt (also in three colors). Using a 3D raschel knit, these thick thermals capture heat like nothing else, and become a second skin when temperatures drop. Mine is going on 3+ years of regular wear and washing, and still looks and feels brand new.

All this lovely cotton knitwear and more is available online, and in our Oakland store. Have a great start to the week, see y'all Wednesday!

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Is there a breakdown of the various types of Real MCCoys sweats?

there appears to be 10 oz and 9 oz loopwheel

then there is ballpark (12 oz sinker weave) and Joe McCoy (10 oz sinker weave)

sinker weave seems to be a tighter weave than loopwheel. Is it more durable?

Do you need a baggier fit in sinker weave for mobility as a result of the tighter weave?

thanks in advance for any info

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is there a breakdown of the various types of Real MCCoys sweats?

there appears to be 10 oz and 9 oz loopwheel

then there is ballpark (12 oz sinker weave) and Joe McCoy (10 oz sinker weave)

sinker weave seems to be a tighter weave than loopwheel. Is it more durable?

Do you need a baggier fit in sinker weave for mobility as a result of the tighter weave?

thanks in advance for any info

The two fabrics are quite different. The sinker are indeed very stiff with a tight-knit exterior, but a very soft interior.

The Ballpark do have a wider fit than the loopwheels in the same size, so no need to change sizing based on which one you pick.

I wear the XL in both, and the XL loopwheel has stretched out over time to feel about the same as my ballpark.

In terms of durability, the sinker will be more durable but both types have so much cotton in them that wearing through the garment is going to take some effort.

gnu

Reaction score
Heard somewhere on styleforum you all are getting Rocky Mountain Feather Bed. Just vests or will you all have some of the Christy Down jackets as well? Debating between RMFB or Crescent Down...

schraiber

Reaction score
Any chance y'all will be stocking this season's Lambert's from Freenote Cloth? I'm really digging them, but Freenote's sizing feels all over the place to me and I'd love to try one on in person at the Oakland shop.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Heard somewhere on styleforum you all are getting Rocky Mountain Feather Bed. Just vests or will you all have some of the Christy Down jackets as well? Debating between RMFB or Crescent Down...

We will have the down jackets as well - my opinion is that RMFB fits better and is overall a better product than CDW (used to stock CDW - fit was all over the place).

Any chance y'all will be stocking this season's Lambert's from Freenote Cloth? I'm really digging them, but Freenote's sizing feels all over the place to me and I'd love to try one on in person at the Oakland shop.

Yes we will. I find Freenote's sizing to be very consistent for the woven tops - I've worn a large since 2014 in all their tops but I'm right in the middle of the range for that size. They have opened up the fit on a few of their shirts over time which might create some confusion.

schraiber

Reaction score
We will have the down jackets as well - my opinion is that RMFB fits better and is overall a better product than CDW (used to stock CDW - fit was all over the place).

Yes we will. I find Freenote's sizing to be very consistent for the woven tops - I've worn a large since 2014 in all their tops but I'm right in the middle of the range for that size. They have opened up the fit on a few of their shirts over time which might create some confusion.
Awesome! I think I'll hold out and check 'em out when you get them in stock. I'm on the smaller side of medium in most brands, and some Freenote's tops just feel a bit billowy on me if I go medium, but others are okay. So always good to check it out in person, which I'm glad I'll have the opportunity to do!

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome! I think I'll hold out and check 'em out when you get them in stock. I'm on the smaller side of medium in most brands, and some Freenote's tops just feel a bit billowy on me if I go medium, but others are okay. So always good to check it out in person, which I'm glad I'll have the opportunity to do!

Makes sense - sounds like you're a typical smedium, which can be tough fit in any brand.

S&S_Elliot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hold on to your (now very small feeling) boots, because we've got news.

The news is that I have watched all of Squid Game.

Also, look at these boots-

BS x Clinch - Transcontinental Boots - Flat-01.jpg

We've just launched our Pre-orders for the Black Sign x Clinch Transcontinental Boots, which are sick as hell.

Standing at an average of 16" tall (the height will change slightly relative to the size of the shoe), these pack an impressive 6 eyelets, 9 speed hooks, another 5 eyelets, and two custom brass buckles to keep them securely on your legs. Brown O'Sullivan cork outsoles and heels provide fantastic grip and comfort, while still cutting a clean, low profile.

BS x Clinch - Transcontinental Boots - Onbody-03.jpg

The leather is black waxed Gustave cowhide, from the Degermann tannery in France. Degermann is France's oldest leather tannery, with a history going back over 300 years. The hides are combination tanned - combination tanned leathers are finished with both natural vegetable tannins and mineral ones, resulting in a leather with the durability of a veg tan and the softness of a chrome tan. After tanning, the leather is coated with a natural wax, which is heat pressed into the hides, giving additional durability and water-resistance.

BS x Clinch - Transcontinental Boots - Onbody-01.jpg

Pre-order is open until October 29th, 2021. During the open pre-order period, we are able to take orders on all listed sizes on either last. After October 29th, the pre-order will close, we will submit our order to Clinch and we will not be able to take any additional orders.

This collaboration is highly limited, and will not be restocked. Pre-ordering guarantees you a pair in your size, but once the pre-order has concluded, it may be impossible to acquire a pair of these boots.

Upon completion, we will be receiving a small stock run of the Transcontinental Boots built on the CN WIDE last, that will be available Fall 2022. We will NOT be receiving any stock pairs built on the CN-S last.

BS x Clinch - Transcontinental Boots - Flat-19.jpg

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold on to your (now very small feeling) boots, because we've got news.

The news is that I have watched all of Squid Game.

Also, look at these boots-
View attachment 1677075

We've just launched our Pre-orders for the Black Sign x Clinch Transcontinental Boots, which are sick as hell.

Standing at an average of 16" tall (the height will change slightly relative to the size of the shoe), these pack an impressive 6 eyelets, 9 speed hooks, another 5 eyelets, and two custom brass buckles to keep them securely on your legs. Brown O'Sullivan cork outsoles and heels provide fantastic grip and comfort, while still cutting a clean, low profile.

View attachment 1677076

The leather is black waxed Gustave cowhide, from the Degermann tannery in France. Degermann is France's oldest leather tannery, with a history going back over 300 years. The hides are combination tanned - combination tanned leathers are finished with both natural vegetable tannins and mineral ones, resulting in a leather with the durability of a veg tan and the softness of a chrome tan. After tanning, the leather is coated with a natural wax, which is heat pressed into the hides, giving additional durability and water-resistance.

View attachment 1677077

Pre-order is open until October 29th, 2021. During the open pre-order period, we are able to take orders on all listed sizes on either last. After October 29th, the pre-order will close, we will submit our order to Clinch and we will not be able to take any additional orders.

This collaboration is highly limited, and will not be restocked. Pre-ordering guarantees you a pair in your size, but once the pre-order has concluded, it may be impossible to acquire a pair of these boots.

Upon completion, we will be receiving a small stock run of the Transcontinental Boots built on the CN WIDE last, that will be available Fall 2022. We will NOT be receiving any stock pairs built on the CN-S last.

View attachment 1677079
Sorry but this is the best promo pic for them:
Screenshot_20210917-230009_Instagram.jpg

How did you pick the shorts one and not the ones with the breeches (that y'all carry too!)

S&S_Elliot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How did you pick the shorts one and not the ones with the breeches (that y'all carry too!)

They didn't send us that one, I'm just using the promo shots provided by Black Sign. If we'd been able to get a sample, we'd have our own, very cool promo photos that would feature things like Gen & Breeches more prominently. Either way, I concur, that is the coolest photo.

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw those black sign boys, I definitely went dayum. I'm back in the US for the foreseeable future, I might have to jump on em but dang 1 whole year might mean I'll be back abroad but not sure. I wonder if the Black Sign store will carry any that I can just grab.

I never figured out the sizing for their lasts. I tried a pair of their sneaker type shoes in I believe 10H probably CN-S and it almost fit but felt like it pinched the top of my toe.

What size would be good for someone who is generally a size 12 in sneaks and 11/11.5 in boots?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads