1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stand up comedy

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chronoaug, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Wanda Sykes is one of the only funny female comedians.

2. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill
    +100 The older shows are good, too. Watched them over and over again and still laughed every time.

3. SField

SField Senior member

You don't have to be sorry. I'm used to people not having the same sense of humor as me. You're not exactly the type of person I'd expect to have much in common with in any case.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

How has no one fucking mentioned Zach Galifianakis? One of my favorite entertainment icons period, not just out of comedians.

5. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill

I think I liked Circle a bit more but they are both high up my list of best stand up ever.

Robin Williams LIVE on Brodway was great.

Chappelle's "Killing 'em softly" show was hilarious.

Dimitri Martin, Jim Gaffigin, and Lisa Lampanelli all consistantly deliver.

I also like Tom Papa:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

EDIT:Oh man, how could I forget Russell Peters...

6. MagnersPear

MagnersPear New Member

classics: eddie murphy RAW + richard prior
    90s: martin lawrence
    20s: dave chappelle (sp?)
    uk: mark watson

7. mgz

mgz Senior member

Hedberg, Izzard, and those two from Black Books; Bill Bailey and, err, the other one.

8. SField

SField Senior member

So my favorites would be

Rock (Bigger Blacker - his later stuff sucked), Chappelle (Killing em softly), Lisa Lapinelli (how the fuck does she get away with it), James Gaffigan (80% of the time), and of course Eddie Izzard who has been a longtime favorite of mine.

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

"Delirious" and "Raw" are solid gold, nothing beats the Bill Cosby routine.

Eddie Izzard is hilarious. Magi, Zach Galifinakis is an utter idiot. Not funny.

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

"Delirious" and "Raw" are solid gold, nothing beats the Bill Cosby routine. Eddie Izzard is hilarious. Magi, Zach Galifinakis is an utter idiot. Not funny.
    I also don't think Galifinakis is as funny as some want to believe. Haven't heard his standup in a few years though but his shtick/presonality is a little disingenuous to me. Probably will give it another try. Also, i hate demetri martin. I don't like that kinda shtick i see some comics do these days. I like more genuine and normal comics rather than ones like him who try way too hard (despite having a few good jokes) Yea, delirious/raw are is the standard in my opinion. The Mr. T impression is fucking great "Hey boy, hey boy! Ya look mighty cute in them jeans." "

11. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Denis Leary's No Cure for Cancer is one of the best standups ever. Lock n' Load isn't bad either.

12. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Anything by Russell Peters or Ricky Gervais.

13. MsMcGillicuddy

MsMcGillicuddy Senior member

George Carlin. Always. Although, I do find his books to be funnier than his live stand-up delivery. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have three books, his "Brain Droppings" would be one of them.

For more recent (and, y'know, living) comedy, I'm a fan of Dimitri Martin. He's got some stuff posted on You Tube that's good for a chuckle.

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I also don't think Galifinakis is as funny as some want to believe. Haven't heard his standup in a few years though but his shtick/presonality is a little disingenuous to me. Probably will give it another try.
    I never cared for Galifinakis until I saw him work with Tim and Eric. His Tim and Eric material is gold, but then most people don't care for Tim and Eric. Don't forget Bill Cosby. Himself is hilarious.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

16. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned David Cross. He only has two albums (although one is a double-disc), and they are both hilarious. I listen to both of them on pretty much every long car trip I take. He also has an HBO special you can download.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Wow. Not a single mention of George Carlin. You people wound me.

+1000000 on Eddie Izzard. Check out Unrepeatable and Definite Article for some of his best work.

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Also, i hate demetri martin. I don't like that kinda shtick i see some comics do these days. I like more genuine and normal comics rather than ones like him who try way too hard (despite having a few good jokes)

You hate Demetri Martin because he reminds you of you, and he's 36.

Galifianakis is funny. People should watch the Comedians of Comedy doc. Posehn is good, too; Bamford isn't really my thing. But of the people in the show, Galifianakis is the funniest on his feet. Shame his talk show thing didn't work, that was a good venue for him.

George Carlin. Always. Although, I do find his books to be funnier than his live stand-up delivery. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have three books, his "Brain Droppings" would be one of them.

Wow. Not a single mention of George Carlin. You people wound me.

[​IMG]

Other current, lower profile standups who are good--Leo Allen, Todd Barry. I dunno what happened to Greg Fitzsimmons. He seemed funny but I haven't seen him anywhere outside of "Best Week Ever" type things. Speaking of which, that's given a lot of exposure to otherwise mid-level comedians.

19. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

You hate Demetri Martin because he reminds you of you, and he's 36.

Galifianakis is funny. People should watch the Comedians of Comedy doc. Posehn is good, too; Bamford isn't really my thing. But of the people in the show, Galifianakis is the funniest on his feet. Shame his talk show thing didn't work, that was a good venue for him.

[​IMG]

Other current, lower profile standups who are good--Leo Allen, Todd Barry. I dunno what happened to Greg Fitzsimmons. He seemed funny but I haven't seen him anywhere outside of "Best Week Ever" type things. Speaking of which, that's given a lot of exposure to otherwise mid-level comedians.

Todd Barry is very funny, I love his dead pan delivery. As for Greg Fitzsimmons, he hosts a show on Sirius, Howard 101 I think. He's also coming out with a book entitled "Dear Mrs. Fitzsimmons".

20. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Bill Hicks is a psuedo religious icon...George Carlin is a stand up comic.