• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stand-up Comedy: It's gotten dirtier, but has it gotten funnier?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching a comedy central roast awhile back, i think the last one was bob saget, and after awhile realized that it wasn't so much a contest of who could make the funniest speech, but who could make the raunchiest speech. I remember watching informercials for old roasts in the '70's and '60's, and thought those comedians were every bit as funny without working blue.

Has blue comedy actually made it funnier?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously some dirty jokes work very well, but the Flavor Flav and Bob Saget roasts were full of pointless and extreme vulgarity.

EDIT: Oh man, total waste of my long-time-coming 1000th post.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a prude. I swear sometimes; sometimes too much even. However, I dislike that there is so much unecessary (IMO) swearing in movies and stand-up. Sometimes it fits but most times it's swearing for the sake of it.

Just comes off as limited vocabulary and poor writing to me.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Richard Pryor and Andrew Dice Clay were pretty dirty...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I don't think it's the dirtiness that matters. It's just the quality of the joke, regardless of the language used. There were some guys back in the day who could kill without cursing, and there were some who would curse more than a sailor. It's relatively the same now.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bill Cosby's routine in the 80's was as clean as they come, and I've never laughed so hard since.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a crutch, there are very, very few comedians today who are really funny without being excessively dirty. 50% of what Chris Rock does is primarily filth/swearing. It's funny, but I think he's overrated. It's the same with Family Guy. People say how much funnier Family Guy is than the Simpsons, which is ridiculous. It's not very hard to be funny when you're as filthy as Family Guy, the Simpsons is a pretty clean show and blows away Family Guy IMO, despite not being nearly as good as it use to be. Although I don't watch it anymore, the Simpsons will go down in history as creating the funniest characters of all time. Telling jokes to young people that are clean and funny is very challenging. Two good examples that come to mind, excluding the obvious classics, are Mitch Hedberg and Demetri Martin.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You really think Family Guy is dirty? Maybe you are thinking of South Park.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
You really think Family Guy is dirty? Maybe you are thinking of South Park.

Seriously. Family Guy might be stupid and at some times not funny, but it isn't any dirtier than the Simpsons.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family Guy humour is excellent. That "aristocrats" joke, now that is disgusting and totally unfunny. Less funny than Jackass or Tom Green.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Obviously some dirty jokes work very well, but the Flavor Flav and Bob Saget roasts were full of pointless and extreme vulgarity.

Agreed. I almost felt bad for Cloris Leachman after all the age jokes.

BYucko

Reaction score
Norm MacDonald's set on the Bob Saget roast sucked.

Then I rewatched it.

Now it's my favourite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads