• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stained white shirts

alaaro

Reaction score
I just bought my first pure white polo, a Lacoste. I normally don't wear white since I'm a big guy, and I tend to sweat some, and don't want to quickly ruin a white shirt with pit stains. Any recs on preventing this or doing damage control? I cant wear a t-shirt under it, the sleeves are too short so the t-shirt sleeves will pop out.

Should I just pop it in the washing machine right after wearing it? I can't bleach it, because of the gator, right?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Don't wear a T-shirt under it, wear an undershirt. An undershirt that fits properly should be tight enough to wear under a polo without the sleeves showing. Choose crew neck or v-neck, depending on whether you want it to show. If the sleeves really are a problem, find undershirts that have smaller sleeves...I haven't worn one in a long time, but I know they exist. If you can't find any, as a last resort, try A-shirts, aka beaters. Although they don't actually cover the armpit area, they're better than doing nothing.

2) Wash the shirt as soon as possible. At a minimum, pretreat otherwise.

3) If stains develop, try oxiclean. I've never done so myself, but I hear that it works wonders.

4) You can bleach that shirt if you want to. If you follow the directions on the bleach, it will not fade the croc.

5) I was under the impression that it's the aluminum in anti-perspirate that actually causes the stains, as opposed to the sweat itself. Try switching to one that doesn't have aluminum, or just use plain deodorant, or use none at all (if that's a feasible/considerate option).

Hope this helps.

alaaro

Reaction score
Thanks.

When I said T shirts, I meant undershirts. I usually wear the typical Jockey crew neck t shirt. But the sleeves tend to be too long to wear with Lacoste polos, since their sleeves are short.

I was thinking of a beater also, but I dont know how much that would help, since its not really "up in my pit", so to speak.

I think I will try either a beater or no undershirt at all, and just pretreat it after I wear it. Nothing like DC summers to keep everyone nice and sweaty.

Any other suggestions?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

When I said T shirts, I meant undershirts. I usually wear the typical Jockey crew neck t shirt. But the sleeves tend to be too long to wear with Lacoste polos, since their sleeves are short.

I was thinking of a beater also, but I dont know how much that would help, since its not really "up in my pit", so to speak.

I think I will try either a beater or no undershirt at all, and just pretreat it after I wear it. Nothing like DC summers to keep everyone nice and sweaty.

Any other suggestions?
Try a different brand of deoderant/antiperspirant. Try a bunch of different ones in roll-on, stick, gel, etc.

Some work better than others. Get the right anti-perspirant, and that should go a long way toward fixing your problem.

I tend to sweat quite a bit myself (can drink more than 2 full quarts of water during an hour of working out and still lose a lot of water weight.) I've found that "Dry Idea" roll-on works best on me. Stick-type anti-perspirants don't work at all for me, but seem to work for others. A friend of mine who is a model (and can't afford wet pits under any circumstances) swears by Mitchum.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Anthony Logistics, and tea tree oil based deodorants. No more stains.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that machine drying your white shirts contribute to pit stains. Try air-drying instead.

alaaro

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice....now let me expand on this one step further. I can't get ahold of undershirts with very short sleeves in time, so should I wear a beater? Or no undershirt? Does simply wearing a beater under something imply lowclass?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advice....now let me expand on this one step further. I can't get ahold of undershirts with very short sleeves in time, so should I wear a beater? Or no undershirt? Does simply wearing a beater under something imply lowclass?
Eww, I hate beaters. Korean men wear beaters under their dress shirts and it's very visible and very disturbing and totally defeats the purpose of absorbing sweat from the armpits. No beaters.

However, going without any undershirt at all is just as bad, especially if the summer's hot and you're sweating buckets.

I dunno, tough call either way.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a split of authority: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....42;st=0 Personally, I think they are perfectly acceptable.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(alaaro @ 20 July 2004, 9:58) Thanks guys for all the advice....now let me expand on this one step further. I can't get ahold of undershirts with very short sleeves in time, so should I wear a beater? Or no undershirt? Does simply wearing a beater under something imply lowclass?
There seems to be a split of authority: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....42;st=0 Personally, I think they are perfectly acceptable.
Beaters under dress shirts are rediculous. Beaters worn under sweaters in cold weather are highly effective, they help keep you much warmer.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Anthony Logistics, and tea tree oil based deodorants. No more stains.
Is it a strong deoderant? I use Lab Series, and it seems to be pretty strong. Can you make a comparison?

Interestingly, the strongest deoderant I've every used is when I had to borrow a girlfriends Secret.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hope this helps. this is from http://www.oxxousa.com/garment_care.htm:
Condition Yellow: How to avoid those unsightly underarm stains When you're trying to look your best, even the smallest clothing stains can be embarrassing. But none are as potentially humiliating as yellow underarm stains. One would think these are caused by perspiration - but one would be wrong. While it is true that the chloride salts in perspiration tend to fade all colors, it is the combined effect of sweat and deodorant or antiperspirant buildup that yellows fabric. Acidic antiperspirants contain aluminum chloride, which can change the color of some dyes. To prevent deodorants or antiperspirants from tainting your clothes, follow these steps: *Use alcohol-free deodorants with a natural pH rather than an acidic antiperspirant. Avoid deodorant products that contain acidic solutions of aluminum chloride. *Apply the product as instructed, and avoid overuse. *Allow the product to dry before dressing. *Avoid prolonged contact with antiperspirants and deodorants. *Use underarm guards when wearing delicate garments, especially those made of silk. If discoloration does occur, don't hesitate to take the item to your dry-cleaner immediately and point out the problem. This can help prevent further damage to the item. You can remove residue from washable garments by washing them as soon as possible after you wear them, using the hottest water safe for the fabric. First, check the label on your laundry detergent for pretreatment instructions. Then, pre-treat the stains by soaking the garment in a detergent containing enzymes. If the stain remains, you can try using three percent hydrogen peroxide or chlorine bleach according to fiber type. However, read care label instructions first. Also, before trying this method, test for colorfastness by applying the bleach to an unexposed area, and let stand for five minutes. If the color is affected, do not use the product. Don't let unsightly yellow underarm stains ruin your clothing - or your reputation. Use deodorants or antiperspirants correctly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads